News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fairground accident in Dover - 1980's?????  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
Re: Fairground accident in Dover - 1980's?????
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 20:16:52 »
Taken from Hansard HC Deb 27 June 1985 vol 81 cc1189-96

Mr. Piers Merchant (Newcastle upon Tyne, Central) I am grateful for the opportunity to raise the subject of fairground safety.

On 27 April this year 17 were hurt, all aged between 11 and 16, at Dover when the "lifting paratrooper" collapsed. These are all fairly major incidents that have happened in the past three months.

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 21:36:57 »
.I,ve never witnessed anything like it and hope that i never will again.I dont think that any of the injurys were very serious but we did not know that at the time.Probably a few broken legs where people had gone through the platforms in the paratrooper cars and various cuts and bruises.When it happened,many of the showmans wives went to the living trailers and brought out blankets for us to put around the injured.It must have been on a Saturday as it was the last day of the fair as we pulled down that night.It was quite eerie to see the ride all twisted and broken,laying untouched during the night.I remember it was fenced off from the public and it might have had a police guard until it could be inspected by HSE.I dont know what the final outcome of the investigation was.Had the paratrooper been riding at its full height,the outcome may have been far more serious.

Offline jpdeejay

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:40:27 »
I did not realise that it was as bad as that, that is terrible!!

I always remembered Forrests fun fair coming to Dover during the school holidays, I hope that all injured recovered quickly!

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 22:00:22 »
I think that it happened around the month of August when Forrests funfair usually came to Pencester gardens,during the school holidays.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 21:55:23 »
On the 8th May 1985 The Times reported on a collapsed fairground ride in Felixstowe the previous day, at the end of the report it states:

“Last year, after the launch of the code, two people were killed and 35 seriously injured, while the collapse of a ride at a travelling fair in Dover earlier this year injured 17, five of whom were detained in hospital.”

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 21:33:41 »
Yes i remember it well.I was working at the fair at Pencester gardens at the time it happened.I was working on Baileys twist ride which was right next to the Paratrooper which belonged to Ronnie Bentley.I think it happened around 1983-84.What i can remember was that the paratrooper had more or less a full ride.The ride started to lift but luckily it was only around half way up when the accident happened.Our Twist ride had just stopped and we was letting people on for the next ride when suddenly there was a bang and we was all showered with hydraulic oil which had come from the hydraulic ram of the Paratrooper when its cap had exploded.The ride dropped to the floor and was a terrible mangle of splintered wooden platforms and twisted metal and kids crying in pain.We stood for seconds in silence,like we couldnt believe it had just happened.Reality kicked in and we waded in,lifting machinery off people and just doing everything we could to help.I dont think anyone was killed but there were some bad injurys.One thing i always rememered was how quickly that news reporters were on the scene,all from the big name newspapers.Remember this was back in the early 80s so nobody really had mobile phones or internet,but these reporters were there so quickly.The ride was fenced off in pencester for the next day or two when we had all pulled down and moved on so that it could be inspected by the HSE.It was major news and featured in many of the daily papers.It was such a shame as the ride owner,Ronnie Bentley,was one of the nicest people on the fair.I dont think he ever got over the accident and i think after he only travelled with a food kiosk.I know that the ride was well maintained and it was very unfortunate that it ever happened.

Offline jpdeejay

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 21:08:02 »
Hopefully all minor injuries andnothing serious? Have looked online however could not find anything regarding this?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 17:00:13 »
Yes. A friend of mine was on it at the time.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline jpdeejay

• Appreciation 2
Fairground accident in Dover - 1980's?????
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 16:57:02 »
Hi all,

I was speaking with a friend recently when he mentioned about a fairground accident in Pencester Gardens in Dover at some point in the 1980's, I vaguely remember this, from memory I think the "umbrella's" ride collappsed.....????

Is this correct??

JP

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines