News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Original house in Walderslade?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Original house in Walderslade?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 18:50:17 »
Google Earth has been around since 2005, and has been updated regularly since then. Some areas (not all) are rendered in 3d, including most of the Medway area, Thanet, Canterbury and NW Kent. The historic imagery feature you mention is a really interesting addition and you can spend hours just looking around and comparing how things have changed over time. The slider says it goes back as far as 1940, but I believe 1945/6 is probably a more accurate date.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 15:04:44 »
For those of you who like historical like this there's a SUPERB website that my brother introduced me to recently.  :)

It's basically Google Earth that has street view etc, but one brilliant addition they've added is that it incorporates a (for better use of the phrase) 'Time Scale' feature.
As well as incorporating aerial/satellite photographs of the 'present' it also incorporates aerial photography of almost every square mile of the UK. :)
There are aerial photographs going back DECADES, in some cases the 1940s! They are layered over each other in chronological order, you simply slide a little chronometer at the top of the screen back and forth and it shows you what that area looked like at that time.

Like I said, some of these pictures are over 70 years old. :)

You will have to download the programme, so it's worth looking around online (including 'timeslider') for it.   

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 22:30:32 »
It's marked on maps as Queens Cottage. The original plot it sat on was pretty big - about 150' x 500'.

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 22:19:36 »
Just for the record, I used to own the left hand semi behind this in the photos. I moved out 30 years ago. I could not see the bungalow when I lived there because its garden was so overgrown. Small world!

Offline lordraglan

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 17:17:39 »
By the main shopping precinct a load of bushes were cut back, and they found this - definitely original Walderslade wooden house - Probably not going to stay there though looking at the amount of land it has.

Offline davidt

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 19:21:08 »

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Original house in Walderslade?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 19:19:33 »
I remember reading somewhere that plots of land were sold in Walderslade to build 'weekend' homes. This was back when there were no roads, just tracks leading to the heavily wooded area. The plots were approximately 20ft x 200ft.

So, although I've driven up & down Dargets Road hundreds of times, I'd never noticed this in amongst the modern houses that now make up the road.

Any thoughts or confirmation that this could probably be the last of its kind in Walderslade?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines