News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nailbourne - Ospringe  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
Re: Nailbourne - Ospringe
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:30 »
Is this one of those rivers that only flow for part of the year, and then only on wet years?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 00:08:37 »

The waterwheel and mill mentioned were probably one and the same, as Ospringe Mill in Water lane was originally built in the 1770's to grind madder, a root for dye products.  It became a corn mill, which operated until the 1930's, and was eventually demolished in the late 1940's.  I have a picture of it somewhere.

Also in the lane was a fine windmill, taken down in WW1, of which a number of pics exist.

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 21:06:48 »
My Grandmother lived in Water lane when she was young....She was born in 1911 and I think there when she was around 11 years old...
Still going strong ! We celebrated her 100th Birthday on 8 September....
If it's too hard I can't do it !

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Nailbourne - Ospringe
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 13:23:54 »
A nailbourne is a stream which flows after heavy rainfall which forces the plane of saturation to raise to a higher level than normal.  Ospringe, in Faversham, has a nailbourne and when the excess water intermittently flowed it followed a channel running along Water Lane, hence its name. 

The water ran north along the road from Mutton Lane, into an underground channel before reaching Ospringe Street and reappearing on the other side of the road before flowing down to Faversham Creek. 

This stream was used to drive a waterwheel for a mill near Queen Court which was used to process madder.  This stream also fed a large mill pond beside a corn mill which lay opposite Bridge Cottage on Mutton Lane.  Over time the stream begun to dry out although it was still reasonably deep when it ran along Water Lane in the 20th century although the mill pond had disappeared by this time.  During the 1950s a culvert was constructed below Water Lane to finally prevent the road from flooding. 

By the end of the 20th century the stream had dried up permanently, possibly due to water extraction nearby.  A little brick bridge along Vicarage Lane is a reminder of this waterway.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines