News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Structure on the Lines  (Read 28069 times)

merc

Re: Structure on the Lines
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2013, 14:51:29 »
Workmen have been converting or rebuilding the old nissen hut that I think was used as a canteen or hall, at the Garrison Recreation Ground, near the Naval War Memorial.

One of Chezzz's pictures of it from the 90's:

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 13:37:04 »
Could the original picture have been taken with a lens chosen deliberately to foreshorten the distance? If the photographer didn't then the result might have been a street dominated by buildings with the slope opposite like a dot at the end of the street.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 00:13:32 »
If you mean the white roof just showing above the trees, I think it's the small building in Kyn's photo that I referred to in my previous post, except in that photo it seems to have a black roof!!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 00:03:38 »
Can I ask a question, please? What is the pointed structure to the left of the pillar with flagpole that is to the left of the Pavillion? Damn there seems to be a roof to the left of that pointed thing as well. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2011, 13:49:40 »
There appears to be a tower in Kyn's photo, between the pavilion and the small building next to the mound that I assume to be King's Bastion:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11897.msg96214#msg96214

merc

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:34 »
Hi bromptonboy, sorry, my post wasn't a reply to your other post. I was going to edit my post to say something along those lines but decided not to.

I don't know what that tower could be??? possibly something to do with a sportsday/sports event maybe...

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:09 »
Hi Merc, I know of the 'stable' building beside the old footpath, but the structure in the photo appears to be like a tower of about thirty feet high.

merc

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:45 »
When they were putting up the new fence between the Lines and Fort Amherst for the GLHP (by the corner of the ditch around Prince William's Bastion), one of my friends and and an archaeologist she knows were looking at some rubble and brickwork there. Unfortunatly the results were inconclusive, but i think it may have been part of a small stable or guardhouse that's shown on some maps.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 10:20:33 »
One mystery solved but another discovered! What is the white pillar-like structure on the skyline just to the left of pavillion in the last blown-up picture?

And I still think there are far to many trees remaining on that slope!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 10:54:01 »
Itís surprising how big the memorial looks when the WW2 extension is included, and puts the pavilion into perspective.

But there is still an anomaly:
The 1907 OS map shows the Lines in detail. All the footpaths, boundary markers, the small building next to the defensive ditch in Kynís photo, and a cricket ground alongside Brompton Road/Marlborough Road; it shows the footpath beside the recreation ground (now Kingís Bastion) but neither the pavilion or the recreation ground are marked.

Yet we have the photo showing the pavilion in 1904! (Mercs post of October 02, 2011, 21:25:29). So when was the pavilion built?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 15:19:34 »
You've beaten me to it with the comparison photo's, I've done my own here using a bit of Photoshop shenanigans...

As has been noted, the lack of trees in the older photographs is quite striking.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:15 »
Thanks Bromptonboy. I'm amazed by the difference in growth over the years. Here are the two photos side-by-side - apologies for small size; the original is a full-size screen capture but this is how Photobucket saved it (Press CTRL & + to enlarge):

View points not quite the same but the scale is about the same in each photo, and I now agree that the size of the structure stands a comparison with the memorial, and it is the pavilion. I didn't think it was close enough to the edge of the 'drop' to have been seen from right down in Fair Row.

But what was the smaller building in Kyn's photo?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:53 »
Had a look form the top of Clover Street yesterday and could just see the roof of the pavillion peeping through the trees. To be really controversial, I would suggest that as the trees are relatively recent growth and actually obscure an historic landscape, should they be grubbed out?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 23:03:32 »
Bingo! I found this, although not very clear and not as good as a dedicated photo taken for the purpose of this thread (hint :)):

The mystery building is behind the trees to the left of the memorial, and if the reasoning in the previous post is right, would be about 1.5 times the width of the memorial column. So if it looks like that in Kyn's photos, it is the pavilion. But let's not forget that Swiftone suggested the solution right from the start.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 20:42:41 »
As you say, Smiffy, we need a photo of the Lines including the War Memorial.

ĎAbout my Placeí aerial photos include a scale, and the width of the Pavilion as it was in 1904 (ie Ė without the rear extension) can be measured quite accurately as being about 28ft. Unfortunately it isnít as easy to measure the width of the memorial column, but the van in my photo might be a clue. It was the shape and size of an ambulance (I thought it was at first), say 18-20 ft long Ė about 2/3 the size of the pavilion; and it is about the same as the width of the memorial column.

So if we had a photo of the memorial taken from the same place in the Victoria Gardens as Kynís photos, we could visualise what a building one-and-a-half times as wide looks like and compare with Kyn's photo.

Kynís photos show another small building to the left of the one in question, which I imagine to be the one mentioned in earlier posts, close by the defensive ditch. If so, does anyone know what it is? Neither ĎAbout my Placeí or Google Earth show anything there now.

PS: The distance of my photo is about 1.1 mile, Kyn's about 0.5 mile, and the original from Fair Row about 0.3 mile.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines