News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Structure on the Lines  (Read 28175 times)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
Re: Structure on the Lines
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 16:58:31 »
I'm sure that it's the same pavilion that was in the 1904 photo, but with an L-shaped extension. There is even the little 'arch' in the centre of the veranda: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11897.msg96166#msg96166

The trees are a nuisance - I had a brainwave in the night and thought "I'll photograph the Lines in the morning and see what it shows", only to find trees in the way - my line of sight was from the top of my last photo, roughly in line with the wall to the right of the memorial, although the trees obstructing my view are actually on the Daisy Banks. Anyway Man-of-Kent, did the size of the trees give any indication of scale?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 16:34:13 »
This morning I stood on the roof level of the Brook multi story above the path of Fair Row and even at that height, I could only see trees.
Derek Brice

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 16:33:47 »
Could this possibly be a smaller pavilion built on the same foundation since original photo

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 16:00:51 »
This picture gives an idea of scale. The pavilion doesnít look as big as a pair of semi-detached houses Ė certainly not as tall:

I hope this shows the contour of the ground better than other pics:

It looks like a fairly gentle slope at first, then a very sharp drop, so question is would the pavilion be so outstanding in the original photo, even though the trees arenít there? Again, Iím struck by how small it is. Line of Fair Row is marked in red.

seafordpete

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 12:04:05 »
Looking at OS and also the profile of the line from Pav to FaiRow it is about a 47m rise with no intermediate high ground and the ground is still rising slightly behind the Pav.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 11:36:59 »
I dunno :)
In the 1949 photo, provided the flat ground ends at ther line of bushes next to the pavilion, and the slope down into the town begins there, I can see that it's possible for it to be seen from Fair Row. The bandstand is still there and looks about the same size as the pavilion - I'm trying to visualise what it would look like if it was on the site of the pavilion; would it look as big as that? The distance from where the photo was taken to the pavilion is about 1100 feet (335m), if that helps.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 09:26:04 »
Sorry Merc the old 'sausage finger' problem. I meant that if it was a Tent, which generally flair out, then that flair could be the Veranda's of the pavilion. It seems from the overheads in another post that there were two small Nissan hut alongside. I hope that helps. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:22 »
I've found a 30's OS map and drawn the line of sight on it. It points straight to the pavilion but it still seems larger than it should do to my eyes. It would interesting to compare with a modern view from a similar viewpoint
If you go into the multi-storey car park and stand immediately above where the bus ramp goes undercover into the bus station, you are standing immediately above Fair Row, near enough to the same viewpoint to be able to tell if you could see the pavilion from where the photo was taken.

A 1907 map of Chatham is identical to Smiffy'y 30's one in respect of the footpaths, Municipal Borough Boundary etc, but there is no pavilion. So how can there be a 1904 photo of it?

Here is a photo taken this morning looking approx NW. The pavilion is just to the left of the memorial, but is not even tall enough to show above the trees, so doesn't seem to be our mystery structure?:

Offline swiftone

• Appreciation 21
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:16 »

I've found a 30's OS map and drawn the line of sight on it. It points straight to the pavilion but it still seems larger than it should do to my eyes. It would interesting to compare with a modern view from a similar viewpoint - you'd have to pull down the pentagon first, of course. Now there's a thought.......

Smiffy, if you look on your original photo there appears to be some smaller buildings below the large structure, which is where your arrow is pointing to. If you extended your red line you would cross some football terraces and smaller pavilions. This is where I believe the larger structure is. The football pitch is shown in greater detail on the 1955 map. I'm not surprised to see a pitched roof in such an exposed position, in any case, I think most older football ground stands had a pitched roof. The other point is that the focal length of the camera lens probably made the structure look bigger than it was, it appears to have made the footpaths wider than shown on the map.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 23:10:25 »

I've found a 30's OS map and drawn the line of sight on it. It points straight to the pavilion but it still seems larger than it should do to my eyes. It would interesting to compare with a modern view from a similar viewpoint - you'd have to pull down the pentagon first, of course. Now there's a thought.......

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 22:44:24 »
To clarify matters, the entrance to the Pentagon and the mall inside is built on the site of the original Fair Row, and is in fact still called Fair Row. A projection of the view down Fair Row in the original photo passes diagonally almost exactly across the centre of the present recreation ground, light coloured in this 'now & then' comparison:

It looks to me as if the existing pavilion is the same as the one in the 1904 view, in which case it is out of the line of sight from Fair Row, and nothing like the size of the mystery structure.

To save keep scrolling back, here is a link to my earlier post for convenience:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11897.msg96085#msg96085

merc

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 22:22:52 »
As far as i know, there is at least one Nissan hut still there.

the flair of a ten is the leanto sections on each side of the pavillion.
Sorry Sentinel S4, what's that?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 22:08:50 »
Having looked at the pics I can see what I thought was the flair of a ten is the leanto sections on each side of the pavillion. Also the later pics show a couple of small Nissan huts on site. Are there any remains on site?
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

merc

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 21:25:29 »
Well i personally still haven't ruled out the sports pavillion. There's a 1904 picture of the recreation ground and pavillion, as well as an aerial photo, in this post:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6621.0

Now we just need to knock all the tree's down that are now in the way, and rebuild Fair Row to see if it matches the view, or not...If it doesn't match then i will agree it's a tent of somekind :)

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 21:07:01 »
I think we may be getting somewhere :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines