News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Core Pond Crane  (Read 3750 times)

Glow in the dark

Re: Core Pond Crane
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 21:08:59 »
Hi,
This is going back some 30 years so I may be wrong but, I believe the Core Pond Crane had a SWL of 200 tons (but I donít think this was at its furthest reach) and the crane over the Basin near No9 dock lifted 90 tons.
I may be wrong and someone might have a more accurate record somewhere.
There was also floating Sheer legs but I cannot recall what the lifting capacity was.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:03 »
Rather you than me Glow in the dark but I dont think  this was the heaviest lifting crane which I think was on St Marys Island along from no9 dock maybe you can confirm this

Glow in the dark

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:52:47 »
Hi Greenbean,

I recall climbing up the core pond crane a few times, 200ft to the top, initially up a stairway, but nearer the top up vertical ladders. 

We had to know how to manually operate the crane by hand should there be a power failure, by disengaging the mechanism and using hand winches.

I recall walking to the end or the crane arm over open gratings, the crane driver then swung us over the Dock which was 80ft deep.

We used to direct the crane with a wireless head set to pass instructions to the crane operator.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 21:38:49 »
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Green Bean

Core Pond Crane
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:26:42 »
My father was involved in building the refit facility at the docks and I wonder if any one has any pictures of the giant crane, or the refit centre?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines