News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard from the air - 1986ish  (Read 10168 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
Re: Dockyard from the air - 1986ish
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 22:12:00 »
Thanks Smiler,
It must have been the commission before that one then. I still have the Commissioning Ceremony Order of Service plus pic from the newspaper, cutting the commissioning cake ( he was a local boy ) dated 29th April 1966. Brighton joined the 1st  Stanavforlant squadron ( NATO )with 5 other ships  from the US, Norway, Germany,Netherlands and Canada and toured the world.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 21:50:26 »
Hi Lyn L  it was in 70/71 the sea trials being just before Christmas

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:45 »
Smiler, can you tell me the years you were doing HMS Brightons refit , that was my hubby's last ship and he has many fond memories, has very recently got contact with an old shipmate from then after 43 yrs  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:46 »
Does anyone know what plans there are, if any, for No.9 Dock? The area looks so derelict now:

cliveh

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:35 »
worked on HMS Brighton in #9 dock on a 2 year refit and never realised there was so much open ground out the back great photo brings back not just memories of the yard but of old mateys long forgotten.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:55 »
Great find bilgerat - thanks for posting it! It's a melancholic period in the Dockyard's history seeing the buildings  and other structures which were about to be lost forever. Of particular note is the No.9 Dock Pumping Station in the bottom left of centre. Although I never saw it standing the photos I've seen it looks to be of similar if smaller design as the magnificent No.5 Dock Station seen at the bottom right. Shame it was demolished.

cliveh

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 21:23:36 »
Great find thanks for posting :-)

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 22
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 21:39:34 »
Hadn't they just got her back from the Medina on a pontoon?
Yes, not long before that. She was on Eurosalves pontoon, but bills weren't paid, (amongst other things) and she got dumped off against the dockyard wall.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 21:15:51 »
Happy to be corrected on the name of the paddle steamer, just assumed it was the Rochester castle because I didn't think the Medway Queen came back until later.
The frigate is definately the Falmouth though. She was laid up and reactivated for the Falklands War and was kept in service for a couple of years afterward.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline prb

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 21:09:03 »
Nice find Bilgerat, Clearly shows the sports grounds from a preious thread

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 21:00:54 »
Hadn't they just got her back from the Medina on a pontoon?
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 22
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 20:48:19 »
The Paddle Steamer Rochester Castle is also visible on the mud off the No5 Pumphouse. The tank farm next to that is awaiting demolition.

Nice pic, I have a copy of the original somewhere.
The paddle steamer is the Medway Queen, not long after the preservation society was formed.

merc

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 19:19:39 »
Nice find Bilgerat, thanks for sharing the photo and info :)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
Dockyard from the air - 1986ish
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 15:21:37 »
Was going through a load of old paperwork I had and found this

The photo was lifted from a brochure produced by English Estates which summarises their vision of the future of the Yard. It was taken at some point in the buildup to the Tall Ships Race which started from the Yard shortly after closure. It shows a snapshot in time when the demolition of the Naval Base was not yet complete.

Looking at the picture, you can clearly see the submarine complex is still intact with the giant Core Pond Crane still in place. The playing fields on St Marys Island are clearly visible, though the clubhouses have been demolished, as have all the storehouses, workshops and office buildings on the north side of 1 and 2 basins. In the centre of the north wall of No2 Basin is HMS Falmouth, a Rothesay Class Frigate which was used as the ceremonial guard ship for the race. In the bottom right hand corner of No2 Basin, you can see a tall ship, which is either the Winston Churchill or the Malcolm Miller. The Paddle Steamer Rochester Castle is also visible on the mud off the No5 Pumphouse. The tank farm next to that is awaiting demolition.
You can also see 2 spare caissons moored on the west wall of No 1 basin and all the dry docks, 5 through 9 still have their caissons in place. Also visible in the bottomleft of the picture is the pontoon which was previously at Admiralty Pier, Gillingham. Just right of centre is the stump of the other big crane, which has been partly dismantled. Centre right, at the edge of the picture, on the north-east corner of No2 basin, you can see the caisson which separated 2 and 3 basins.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines