News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HMS Gannet  (Read 17780 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: HMS Gannet
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 19:38:26 »
Hello,
A while back I bought a marine chronometer, further investigation revealed that the chronometer was aboard HMS Gannet during her third commission (survey of the Mediterranean) see pictures below. The chronometer is still in perfect condition (sorry for my bad English, this is not my native language).

Kris Heyde
Belgium, and a regular visitor to the UK.

There`s nothing wrong with your English if you can spell Mediterranean, Kris!
What a great find!

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 19:32:05 »
The last entry for the chronometer is HMS Zinnia on 13.9.1915, one month after the ship was launched, and two days before my grandfather joined. Nice to see something my grandfather would have seen !

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 18:01:49 »
Hi Kris,

Wow - that's a real find! Congratulations. By any chance, do the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust (the owners of HMS Gannet) know that you have it? I'm certain they would be interested to know that the chronometer still exists and is in private hands?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Kris

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 17:48:01 »
Hello,
A while back I bought a marine chronometer, further investigation revealed that the chronometer was aboard HMS Gannet during her third commission (survey of the Mediterranean) see pictures below. The chronometer is still in perfect condition (sorry for my bad English, this is not my native language).

Kris Heyde
Belgium, and a regular visitor to the UK.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:02 »
 :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 14:15:11 »
The view from HMS Cavalier

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 21:08:54 »
They are an incredibly complex piece of machinery, for something that just looks like some sticks and rope........ S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 20:55:26 »
Further to Sentinel's point about Gannet's propeller, it was raised and lowered in a shaft which ran up through the Captains Cabin using a winch and 'A' frame arrangement. The 'A' frame was on the poop, under the driver boom. As for speeds, I seem to recall that in a good wind, her speed was about the same as going flat out under steam - about 12 knots.

There's a glass plate in the deck in the Captains Cabin over the top of the shaft, but in service, it was enclosed and extended to the deck-head there.

It would indeed be phenominally expensive to fully restore the ship. I have been told (and am open to correction) that the new Fore Mast cost in the region of 30,000, plus the cost of de-rigging and removing the old one and assembling and re-rigging the new one. Not only is there the question of building a replica engine, boiler and all the associated pipework, gangways etc, there would also be all the coal bunkers, plus the big iron stove for the galley, fitting out the crew accomodation etc etc. The cost would run into millions. The ship is also missing three of the big 64lb guns, plus a number of the smaller Nordenfelt Machine guns.

When you see the ship as she is now, you must also remember that about half the rigging is missing. Each of the 'square' (the ones on the yard-arms) sails would have had sheets, clew lines, brails, bow-lines. Plus all the rigging for the studding sails (which went on retractable extensions to the yards - with in-hauls and out-hauls, plus sheets and brails), the stay-sails (which went on the rigging between the masts - and had halliards and down-hauls plus sheets). The driver - which is the big sail on the back of the mizzen mast would also have had brails, plus halliards and sheets for the gaff topsail which went above it.

It amazes me that the Victorian sailors would be able to find their way around all that in daylight on a calm day, let alone in pitch darkness or in the teeth of a howling storm with the ship being tossed about in all directions.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 15:54:00 »
No you didn't imagine that at all. She had auxillary steam plant, her main purpose was to sail under canvas. I am open to correction here but was she not one of the last of her kind? You would have heard the command on her, 'Up stack, down screw' meaning up with the telescoping funnel and lower the screw propeller. The screw would have fit over a dog arrangement on the stern gland to engage and slid off when being raised, I am not sure of the exact arrangement but it would have required the engine to be stopped in only two places per revolution. As the engine would not be run with the screw raised, it acted as a flywheel, that would not be much of a problem to re-engage. The Gannet was very likely faster under sail than screw anyway and would only have resorted to steam for manouvering and when becalmed.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 15:15:46 »
Thanks for that Leofwine, I had the same thought. That said they really are good photos. Now all we need to do is find her an engine and boiler........

S4.

HMS Gannet does sound better than HMS Angry-Duck though!

I've wondered if there are any plans to restore her engines and propellers. It would be great to see her fully restored, but I am sure that would be phenomenally expensive. I seem to have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that under sail her propeller could be raised or retracted to reduce drag, or am I just imagining this?
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 15:06:42 »
Thanks for that Leofwine, I had the same thought. That said they really are good photos. Now all we need to do is find her an engine and boiler........

S4.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 14:59:18 »
I can't help thinking the figurehead looks more like an angry duck than a Gannet!   But nice pic, good to see it in close-up.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:30 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 21:15:13 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 19:24:16 »
These pictures are really interesting, thanks for posting them CDP  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines