News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Radnor Cliff, Sandgate  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Radnor Cliff, Sandgate
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:10:08 »
Very interesting, Paolo! When I saw this photo on "Guess this Place", I knew I had seen it before and spent ages searching Sandgate on GE but couldn`t find it. GE was being difficult at the time - that`s my excuse, anyway.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 00:40:43 »
Influenced, I guess.  See "http://www.voysey.gotik-romanik.de/#List of extant works" for your neighbour at Spade House - HG Wells (site includes floor plan).  Site says he ceased being an architect in 1914.  Other neighbours at http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk.

Note this link :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spade_House

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 17:29:43 »
I've lived close to Radnor Cliff for 32 years and, when we first took over the house (built 1927), I was able to obtain copy of the original plans from SDC.  From this I found the architect to be Seaton Dahl, who eventually joined up with Cadman (whose son still lives locally).  From my memory of Well House certain features are similar to ours, although we also have Lutyens influence.  So try the council first.

Interested to see the results of your search.  Radnoir Cliff was (and still is!) a very exclusive area and it was as a result of this that the railway did not proceed from Sandgate to Folkestone Harbour as originally planned.

Good luck in your quest!

moleman58

Re: Radnor Cliff, Sandgate. New info
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 16:37:33 »
I visited the local library in Folkestone and checked the electoral role.

This confirmed that the residents in 1935 were:
"HENRY JOHN PHILIP SIDNEY ROPER-CURZON
MABEL ROPER-CURZON"

further investigations online I discovered the Times entry:

"22nd December 1936 - "DEATH: TEYNHAM - On Dec. 19, 1936, very suddenly, at Well House, Sandgate, HENRY JOHN PHILIP SIDNEY ROPER-CURZON, 18th baron, beloved husband of Mabel, daughter of the late Colonel Henry Green-Wilkinson, aged 69.  Funeral to-morrow (Wednesday) at 2.45 p.m., Lynsted Church (station, Sittingbourne).  Flowers to Well House, Sandgate." (Category: Death)

24th December 1936 - "FUNERAL:  LORD TEYNHAM:  The funeral of Lord Teynham took place at Lynsted, near Sittingbourne, yesterday, the service being conducted by the Rev. L.E.A.Ehrmann, assisted by the Rev. H.G.Blackbourne, who read the Lesson and took the committal at the graveside.  The mourners included:-
Commander the Hon. Christopher and Mrs. Roper-Curzon (son and daughter-in-law), the Hon. Ralph Roper-Curzon (son), the Hon. Harriet Roper-Curzon (sister), Captain Green-Wilkinson (brother-in-law), Lady Edward Spencer-Churchill, Mr. and Mrs. Randall Kenyon (brother-in-law and sister-in-law), Commander and Mrs H.G.Joyce (brother-in-law and sister-in-law), Captain R.M. Watson (nephew), Mr. Temple Harris, R.N. (nephew), Mr. and Mrs. W. Roper-Lumley-Holland (cousins).
Mr. C.W. Nevill, Mr. Roderick Nevill, the Hon. Mrs. Mark Hovell, Mr. A.F. Sims, Captain Faunce-De Laune and Mr. Hubert Faunce-De Laune, Lady Harris (also representing Lord Harris), Captain T. Croft, Mrs. D. Graham, Major A.J. Peareth (also representing Major-General Sir Arthur Lynden-Bell and the Past and Present Association of The Buffs), and Miss Mildred Smith." (Category: Funeral)"

Now following up the subsequent occupiers and trying to look back at any previous owners/occupiers, but it could be this (1934/35) was when the house was built. There are no previous records in the electoral register, plus ties in with the OS map.

Interestingly the current number is 41 Radnor Cliff.

But the electoral register shows the address between no.s 19 and 22.

Anyone know how to research road numbering, specifically re-numbering??

Mole

moleman58

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:00 »
Thanks Nemo,
I have seen the images of england site, but the Voysey link is useful.
So far I have used Kelly's directory and old OS maps to determine when the building may have been erected. Unfortunately there are gaps when both of these were published/available (1908 to 1938 for the OS maps and 1929 to 1034 for Kellys).

If anyone has old pictures of that area that may help.

Looking at local tax and parish records next.

thanks

Moleman

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 21:08:29 »
Influenced, I guess.  See "http://www.voysey.gotik-romanik.de/#List of extant works" for your neighbour at Spade House - HG Wells (site includes floor plan).  Site says he ceased being an architect in 1914.  Other neighbours at http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk.

moleman58

Radnor Cliff, Sandgate
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 20:35:39 »
Hi
Looking for any info on that area. I am researching the history of our house Well House, 41 Radnor Cliff.
Looking for the architect/builder/original owner. Drew a blank at the local library apart from we think it was built in the 30's and believe it was influenced by CFA Voysey

Moleman

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines