News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Man of Kent vs Kentish Man  (Read 23134 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Man of Kent vs Kentish Man
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 10:06:10 »
There's nothing "ish, maybe, possibly, could be, might be" or anything nearly about me, I'm a Man of Kent born in Baker Street, Rochester and proud of it. Although I haven't lived there for over 40 years it remains a part of me and ever will be.  :)
AlanH.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 08:36:36 »
Whilst a bit off thread - perhaps it should be in `funnies` - but some years ago someone told me he worked with a woman who preferred to be called `Jo` as she had never liked her real name of Joan as it seemed plain and unfashionable. Apparently her father, obviously an historian, said he had named her that as she was his very own `Fair Maid of Kent`. She got her own back (and nearly caused him a heart attack) when she brought home her first serious boy friend - her very own `BLACK Prince`. :)

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 21:04:41 »
As a Kentishman living in Man of Kent territory, I'd just like to say I'm quite prepared to treat MOKs as equals...

Even though I know we KMs  are superior....  :)
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline man of kent

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 02:47:28 »
Yes, but if I had been born on the Rochester bridge what would I have been? Either a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man, or both or neither?
You'd have been... very lucky to survive!
As a Man of Kent I guess I follow the pub names, born in Rainham, my Great, Great, Aunt used to own the Man of Kent pub there.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 22:29:17 »
Minutes after I had posted this up came a three page section entitled 'East & West Kent' which seems to comprehensively cover this thread. A very interesting read.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 22:17:28 »
Referring to my last post 17th Jan 16, The two Danes in question were Hengist & Horsa. According to a map that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago (from where? - forgotten) The Jutes actually settled in Kent - they came from the land at the bottom of the Danish Peninsula (Jutland?) They also appear to have settled along the south Essex coast between London & Benfleet and also the Isle of Wight plus between Bournemouth and (?) Bognor.
The East Saxons = Essex. The Middle Saxons= Middlesex, The South Saxons = Sussex. West Saxons = parts of Hampshire, Oxford, Dorset, Somerset & part of Devon.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 16:45:05 »
Me too! But I`m 50% Welsh.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 13:34:58 »
I'm sorry, but no matter how many times people explain this to me, I always end up forgetting! :-/

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 20:59:07 »
Not sure about the Danish/German dialect thing - it sounds less plausible to this linguist.
Both Danish and German are Germanic languages: current day Danish and German have equivalent adjectives ending in -isk / -isch, corresponding to the English -ish suffix. And both have an "of" construction (av / von).
I'm off to a talk on "Vikings in our Vocabulary" at the York Viking Festival in February, so I might try and ask an expert for an opinion.

Offline Jackie Paper

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:08:25 »
Agree with previous posts.

I also seem to recall being told at school that it relates specifically to the Medway (or Rainham Mark or whatever) being the border between two kingdoms with different languages or dialects. The Germanic Saxons on one side would refer to themselves as something structured like "Kentischmann" and the Jutes/Danes on the other side would have said something more along the lines of "Mann von Kent".

Could be a case of bored teacher's nonsense, but it seemed fairly plausible to a class of 13-year-olds.     

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 16:18:14 »
Perhaps, as I go by the name of 'Maid of Kent' I had better post a reply, (born in Whitstable but no longer in the county). Although it is accepted these days, that the boundary of the definition is the River Medway, I was always told when I was young that the Rainham Mark was the boundary (Hence the pub Man of Kent on the east side of Rainham) That it was to do with the demarcation line between two Danes (whose names escape me at the moment - was it Hengist & V(ortigan?) when they divided Kent between them.  This definition is nothing new - Joan the fair Maid of Kent as she was known was the wife of Edward the Black Prince and mother of Richard ii

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 20:19:38 »
Yes but if I had been born on the Rochester bridge what would I have been? either a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man, or both or neither?
You'd have been... very lucky to survive!

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 20:07:51 »
Yes but if I had been born on the Rochester bridge what would I have been? either a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man, or both or neither?
:)I think you would have one foot on either side, and could claim both!  :)
One foot on each side, blimey thats two feet, I must have been a big baby!

2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 18:50:06 »
:)I think you would have one foot on either side, and could claim both!  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Sirenetta

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 18:32:21 »
Ooobydooby, I reckon you'd have been a Kentish Man of Kent and twice blessed and the product of a very quick birth! Born west of the Medway, like my Dad, but from a long line of those born in Chatham, I can never remember which I am and actually don't care.  To be either is wonderful thing.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines