News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Connaught Park,Dover  (Read 14147 times)

ellenkate

Re: Connaught Park,Dover
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 14:30:35 »

Merc - I guess the small tree in the old photo is the one the Duchess planted.

keniff

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 12:20:01 »
The old drinking fountain was supplied by Dr Astley who was chairman of the Park Committee. Dr Astley also donated the organ at Connaught Hall which was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Connaught, the same day they opened the Park.

Can anyone remember the crazy-golf course which was near the playground and tennis courts?

Fountain with drinking cup intact, NOTE .. No H&S notice, No hand cleaning gel, No instructions on how to use, how did they manage in the old days ?

merc

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 23:20:51 »
The Duchess planted a tree near the pond, and the tree is still there with a plaque on the fence that surrounds it, commemorating the event.

Opening of Connaught Park by Duke & Duchess of Connaught, 1883

Is that the tree the Duchess planted, in your photo ellenkate?

I went in the park once on a trip to Dover a few years ago. I remember watching the birds in the aviary.

ellenkate

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 16:54:42 »

Opening of Connaught Park by Duke & Duchess of Connaught, 1883

jpdeejay

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 19:33:13 »
Great pics!!!! Love them!!

JP

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 15:17:00 »
It was whalebone then delboy.Big blighters weren't they!Mr. Bowcock was the keeper who liked to chuck his broom at boys cycling in the park.He didn't like us climbing the trees either.The summerhouse that was halfway along the top path was a favourite place for us kids to hang out if the weather turned nasty.

delboy

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 12:58:24 »
 A couple of postcards of the whalebone arch that we used to try and climb, much to the disgust of Mr. Bowcock the "parkie". delboy

keniff

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:04 »
And another !!

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 10:08:58 »
A wintry looking photo keniff.A nice view of that drinking fountain and whatever buildings were up at the waterworks back then.Where was the crazy golf situated in the park?Yes i can remember the park keeper C.H.We called one keeper "Dinky" but i don't know which one he was as i'm going back up to 50 years ago.There was another keeper who went down to Pencester Park later.He liked to throw his birch broom at kids riding their bikes.He might have been an ex redcap.

keniff

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:24 »
Another old photo of the park

strangelights

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:04:08 »
When we was kids we used to take our own golf clubs and sneak into the crazy golf without paying.Often got chased out by the park keeper,"Charlie Hollands".He was a real jobsworth type with a peaked hat displaying the words "Park Keeper".He used wear it military style.We all used to call him Inspector Blake as he reminded us of the character from "On the Buses".

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 22:30:44 »
The old drinking fountain was supplied by Dr Astley who was chairman of the Park Committee. Dr Astley also donated the organ at Connaught Hall which was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Connaught, the same day they opened the Park.

Can anyone remember the crazy-golf course which was near the playground and tennis courts?
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 21:47:57 »
Nice photos and postcards!Yes that was the arch i was on about JW.There might have been an article about it in the Dover Express years ago.I believe it became too decayed to leave standing,but i don't know when it was removed.Much of keniff's old photo is recognizable to me including that fancy little erection at the end of the pond.Was it a drinking fountain?Also have some of the buildings up at the waterworks been demolished over the years?There seems more there than i can remember and i went to that learned scholastic establishment(Castlemount Secondary Modern school) that used to be the right of the waterworks.
Another dodgy kid's ride up on the playground was like a long rocking horse with several seats.My mate's sister bashed her face quite badly when using it.

strangelights

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 21:20:31 »
Just had a look at the link you posted,Brilliant!,the park looks pretty much how i remember it,i think the Rocket climbing frame is a later edition.Not much there that would pass todays "elf n safety tests.

keniff

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 20:22:41 »
Maybe it was a shark,also stone toadstalls,humpty dumptys,etc.

Yep, you've got the nod from the old spare rib.. She says that there was a pretty evil roundabout that nearly took her mates chin off !!!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines