News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Connaught Park,Dover  (Read 14189 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Re: Connaught Park,Dover
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 20:10:19 »

I have fond memories of taking my children to the park from Canterbury.   Caught a few tadpoles once.

Here's a link to a postcard showing the arch - not quite sure what they are from though.

http://www.akpool.co.uk/postcards/24089914-postcard-dover-south-east-connaught-park-tall-building

keniff

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 18:40:40 »

strangelights

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 18:30:07 »
Maybe it was a shark,also stone toadstalls,humpty dumptys,etc.

keniff

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 18:25:56 »
I dont remember the Whalebone arch but i can remember the giant stone Whale in the playpark.Was one of my favorite things there when i was a kid.I think it was removed when the playpark was refurbished about 10 years ago?
My Missus says she thought it was a big concrete shark shaped thingy with pointy teeth ?

strangelights

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 17:27:21 »
I dont remember the Whalebone arch but i can remember the giant stone Whale in the playpark.Was one of my favorite things there when i was a kid.I think it was removed when the playpark was refurbished about 10 years ago?

keniff

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 16:02:47 »
Old piccie - the tree has grown a bit !!

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Connaught Park,Dover
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 13:18:43 »
The Park in August 1994.
Connaught Park at Dover is situated on a hillside overlooking Dover with good views across the town.It was named after the Duke and Duchess who opened it in 1883.Immediately above the park is former army training land and above that the West Wing Fort.For us local schoolkids it was a great playground in the 1950's and '60's.In those days the park keeper would often be patrolling the park watching out for mischievous children.The special constable "Old Redge" would also often be on patrol in the park and nearby castle.Down near the pond i can remember an arch made of a whale's jawbones(at least i think that's what it was).Fireworks shows used to be held there and getting into them without paying was a favourite pastime for the local kids as delboy will recall.
The shot below is from Google Earth and the light green line shows the park's boundary.The Spur at Dover Castle can just be seen on the bottom right.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines