News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boot/Shoe Scrapers  (Read 21638 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Boot/Shoe Scrapers
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 18:42:19 »
St. Margaret's Street, Rochester

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 11:58:03 »
Yes, it`s definitely a bootscraper that broke away from the porch wall and has not been re-attached.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 13:14:15 »
I`m beginning to think that it`s not a boot scraper and it appears to be not in it`s original position. The two `bits` hanging at the left and right look as if they should be embedded in the wall like a rawbolt but, if that`s the case, it would be difficult to use as a boot scraper. I couldn`t find any filled-in holes around the porch where a boot scraper would have been as it is definitely not in its original postion and appears to have been dumped around the corner and out of sight. I will eventually find out what it is as I have a contact at Frinsted who will know.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:43 »
The two bars look removable.  Were they for digging mud from the treads of boots perhaps?

JW

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32:35 »
Cant quite work it out, has the scraper been forced over onto the path which it looks like, or is it standing upright? if so the wall is very close to it.What was the broken bar across the top?

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 22:15:03 »
Bryn Clinch, you may be right, so why a double one? My guess is that it could be a boot remover, some one would remove their boots before entering their house or entering someone elses house, a bit like we would perhaps remove our shoes on entering someones house today.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 19:59:43 »
Found this on the right hand side of the porch at St. Dunstan`s Church, Frinsted. I can only think that it`s a double boot scraper.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 18:32:57 »
Some things never change....

A modern version at Riverside Country Park in Rainham.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:19 »

Star Hill House Rochester one each side of steps, couldn't get full photo due to bus stop.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 20:54:10 »
St. Nicholas, Leeds

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 15:19:49 »
Admiral's Offices, Chatham Dockyard

merc

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 22:28:02 »
Outside St. Helen's Church, Cliffe

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 10:35:28 »
It is years since I have used a boot scraper  :)

As to the question of ornate ornot, if one cannot travel far and have limited options for doing things then one tends to make the immediate surroundings more ornate. My apartment is what many people would call bland - but I travel so far in my mind that maintaining a set of ornate objects nearby is unnecessary.

Or, since I am able to so many other things, like considering boot scrapers from all over Kent, I don't have time that could be filled by cleaning things that are ornate.

Or... without the horse to poop outside my door, and hence making the street more ornate and harder to traverse, I have no need for one more piece of ornateness as part of my door furniture.

Anyway, if you added a bootscraper to a modern house you were building, how long before someone fell over it, cut themself, and sued you...?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 13:17:44 »
Found a few in Deal, yesterday, mostly of the same design (the black ones) in Middle Street, but the green one in Coppin Street has a head on it - King Canute? Although I wouldn`t think you`d scrape you boots on the head of a King! On second thoughts, the figure resembles a clerical figure as the headgear looks something like that worn by Cardinal Wolsely.

Scrumdown

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:17 »
I love the way that in the nineteenth century even the most functional object - one intended to get muddy and dirty - was still designed to be ornate and attractive.  You see the same sort of thinking in the ironwork on benches and railway station roofs.  The curlicues on the scrapers are a really good example of the sort of flourish that was a trademark of the time.

I couldn't agree more and it's something about modern living that saddens me, particularly with architecture.  There's no reason why a building or any other piece of street furniture for that matter can't be ornate as well as functional, but fashion errs to the bland and soulless rather than the mildly flamboyant I'm afraid.  I used to live off Luton Road in Chatham and foot scrapers were ten a penny down there.  I always knew what they were, but I didn't realise just how many there were in other places.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines