News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boot/Shoe Scrapers  (Read 21678 times)

Merry

Re: Boot/Shoe Scrapers
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 23:01:07 »
I love the way that in the nineteenth century even the most functional object - one intended to get muddy and dirty - was still designed to be ornate and attractive.  You see the same sort of thinking in the ironwork on benches and railway station roofs.  The curlicues on the scrapers are a really good example of the sort of flourish that was a trademark of the time.

Well done, LewisE, for such an interesting and well-written post. 

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 22:04:07 »
St John the Baptist, Penshurst

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 23:11:56 »
Good one Lewis, my Grandfather had horses, and it wasn't mud my Gran used to shout scrape off your boots.  The horses had a habit of standing outside the door and doing what come natural, much to my Grans disgust.  Being a small boy I could see know harm in walking through it.  Makes my ears smart to recall her words................

Greyuncle

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 21:58:57 »
All Saints Church, West Farleigh

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 17:39:19 »
Wonder what happened to the mud, was it kicked back on the street when dried and recycled when it rained :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 17:11:55 »
These would have been another of those items that showed your status in the community.  I guess during the late Victorian era these were added to the building design as they were so widely used.

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 17:00:19 »
Yeah! brilliant pictures, will have a look round Snodland tomorrow ! I always thought the recessed ones were only used on 'crowded' terraced houses that opened straight onto the pavement and where there wasn`t room for a formal stone step? Street furniture has always fascinated me since I was a young lad in the late fifties, wish I had taken photos back then. It always amazed me the variety of designs there was, there was a row of old victorian houses at the bottom of Dale st. (HillsTerrace?) that had free standing ones in the shape of lions and sphinxes! Long gone now !

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 16:55:09 »
I am supprised how ornate some of these are. For such a mundane item a lot of thought has gone into design and production. The arch type are cast and were made by the mile and cut off by the foot. You can see the differance between a hand crafted wrought iron model and a mass produced cast one. Very interesting. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 16:37:43 »
Excellent, thanks for listing all those scrapers and all free standing as well, it is a wonder they were not taken away during periods of war for the scrap metal, lucky us!. In canterbury ( I wish I had taken photos now) there are many terraced houses and these scrapers were all built into the wall.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 16:18:44 »
As requested - more photos. I think this is the full set from Brompton.

Prospect Row. 9 of the 20 old houses in Prospect Row still have their bootscraperss, although once I expect every house would have had them.

Garden Street. 3 of the 10 old houses in Garden Street still have bootscrapers.

Mansion Row. 8 of the 15 old houses in Mansion Row still have their bootscrapers (or remains of them)

It is interesting to compare these to LewisE's photos because of the style of scraper. Most of the Brompton ones are free-standing, fixed on or beside the front door step. There is only one of the arched top type set into the wall. I wonder if this is due to the style changing over time. All except the last Mansion row one are from eighteenth or early 19th century houses. The last one is a mid- to late Victorian house (the same kind of date as most of the ones in LewisE's photos I suspect.)  It is also interesting that some are cast iron whilst others are wrought iron.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 15:40:16 »
"That`s ok, LewisE, accidently touched the touch pad when he was typing and the curser was right above "post"." I think we've all done that.  :) Good thread highlighting a forgotten everyday item. Nice one LewisE.  :) S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:53:13 »
Thanks for sorting the thread out Kyn. This could run for a while. Sentinel S4.

Thats ok, LewisE accidently touched the touch pad when he was typing and the curser was right above "post" :)

There was a thread on these a long time ago but it vanished over time, maybe LewisE and other members can add some photos of some other examples.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 22:24:21 »
In some places I've seen the pavement has risen up to about halfway up the scraper.  It show how much the lower the old pavement was.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 21:56:18 »
A lot of covers have 'vanished ' recently due to our 'friends' of a certain community........ S4.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 21:45:55 »
Once you have seen one of these boot scrapers LewisE, you will start to look at every old house for one and the patterns are so varied. Canterbury back streets are full of them and it used to take ages to walk down a road sometimes  :)  Look out also for the round metal discs (coal chute cover) on the Pavement where they once used to tip coal into the basement of the house, some can be quite ornate but are getting harder to find now.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines