News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pier District  (Read 12599 times)

mossman

Re: Pier District
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 20:26:08 »
Thanks for the thanks !!! it doesn't quite fit in places I know, I will try to do one of the Pier district tomorrow.

One great piece of compilation keniff, am an ex OS cartographer ( Large scales ) and have first hand experience of problems associated with overlays, always find it amazing as to how accurate the older maps are when fitted to the latest aerial photography, always remember meeting an OS constant revision team working in the Upstreet area and being shown the latest sat nav overlay onto the 1/ 2500 surveys of the area, going back to the county seies of 1904 and believe it or not they were the most accurate, again well done and looking forward to your nxt project.

keniff

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 15:45:57 »
Thanks for the thanks !!! it doesn't quite fit in places I know, I will try to do one of the Pier district tomorrow.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 21:26:45 »
Yes,very well done keniff!Having fiddled around with a tunnel map/Google Earth overlay i know some of the problems.A few of those street names i can remember on your map.It's interesting to see the buildings that were on the Wellington Dock side of Snargate Street in those days.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 17:32:31 »
A brilliant piece of work Keniff.  Really interesting to see the changes.  I had no idea that all those street existed bottom left.

John

keniff

Pier District
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 15:27:51 »
Modern day aerial view with an overlay of a 1906 map shows how the area know as the Pier District has changed over the past 100 or so years.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines