News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Private A Stokes.  (Read 6215 times)

ellenkate

Re: Private A Stokes.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 17:11:03 »

Isn't it amazing what members can find !!  Excellent.

Stevend

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 17:04:35 »
I found this information on the Australian Forces web site: -

He died of influenza in Birmingham. His parents were from Ash but living at Temple Ewell at the time.

ellenkate

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:55:52 »

thanks for that information Merv

Merv

ellenkate

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:11:16 »

I reckon this is the man.  Date fits.  Maybe the Dover Express, of date given, would have some more info about him, and of course there's the photo of him.

read Lydden for Lydd?)

Alfred STOKES (Private soldier) age 28, of the Australian I.F., formerly of Lydd.  Died of wounds.

PHOTO of him.   (Dover Express 5 Jan 1917 back page )

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 19:37:13 »
I really have no clue. My mum noticed the grave years about 15 years ago. Not only did it look a bit lonely in the cemetery but one of my relatives emigrated to Australia and he also joined the 19th BN of the Royal Australian Infantry and was killed in the war, although he was buried in France.This turned out to be a bit of a side-line. I'm guessing that A. Stokes must have died of his wounds in or near to Dover for his body to be this side of the Channel. One of my Mums genealogy contacts in Australia didn't have much luck; maybe because he was a first generation emigre.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

ellenkate

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 19:23:01 »

OR  it could be Alfred STOKES, viz:  and there is a photo.   (should one read Lydden for Lydd?)

Alfred STOKES (Private soldier) age 28, of the Australian I.F., formerly of Lydd.  Died of wounds. 

PHOTO of him.   (Dover Express 5 Jan 1917 back page )

ellenkate

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 19:17:01 »

Albert STOKES of Lydden:
this MIGHT be him in 1881 Census
       Household:
 Name     Relation    Marital Status    Gender    Age    Birthplace    Occupation    Disability
 George STOAKES      Head      M      Male      44      Aldington, Kent, England      Agrit Laborer      
 Sarah STOAKES      Wife      M      Female      39      Lyminge, Kent, England            
 Charles STOAKES      Son      U      Male      19      Lyminge, Kent, England      Agrit Laborer      
 Rose E. STOAKES      Daur            Female     
 9      Northbourne, Kent, England            
 Albert STOAKES      Son            Male      7      Northbourne, Kent, England            
 Sydney STOAKES      Son            Male      5      Northbourne, Kent, England            
 Jular STOAKES      Daur            Female      1      Lydden, Kent, England            
    Source Information:
    Dwelling     Little London Cottage
     Census Place    Ewell & Lydden, Kent, England
    Family History Library Film     1341239
    Public Records Office Reference     RG11
    Piece / Folio     1006 / 16
    Page Number     25

the Dover papers are on film at Dover ref library .   I have indexed most of the (Dover) servicemen's PHOTOS in First War from D/Ex but don't have this one.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:31:46 »
Google news now show a list of archived material and they usually include Australian newspapers.  Maybe worth a search?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06:04 »
It seems that he emigrated to Australia in 1912, from Lydden; joined the army in his newly adopted country at the outbreak of war and when he died his parents had him buried in their home village. My Aunt found an artilcle about it in a Dover Express of 1916/17. A job for Ellenkate maybe? :)
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
Private A Stokes.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:52:56 »
Does anybody how this man ended-up being buried at St. Mary's Church, Lydden. Nr. Dover.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines