News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anchor Wharf Storehouses, Chatham Dockyard  (Read 5285 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Re: Anchor Wharf Storehouses, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 20:18:12 »
 :)

Offline cliveh

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1236
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Anchor Wharf Storehouses, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:25:59 »
A few more showing the roller-conveyor that transported crates down from the upper floor:

cliveh

Offline cliveh

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1236
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Anchor Wharf Storehouses, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:23:50 »
A few interior shots of Storehouse No.2;


cliveh

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Anchor Wharf Storehouses, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 16:22:42 »
These two great storehouses stand upon Anchor Wharf.  The construction of the first storehouse, no. 3 storehouse, was started in 1778 and was completed in 1785, it was built with stout timber-lattice partitions that sub-divided the building suggesting it was constructed to be used as a 'lay-apart store' where stored parts of a ship could either be stored together and separated from stores from other ships.  The second of the storehouses was constructed as a fitted rigging house and also a general storehouse for new equipment used to fit newly built ships.  Construction started in 1793 and was complete in 1805.
  The buildings are brick built with timber floors, when built they both had double pitched roofs covered with clay tiles as can be found on the Ropery and Mast Houses.  The buildings were re-roofed in 1927 and 1929.  The storehouses are the largest ever constructed for the Royal Navy.  The fitted Rigging House is now a museum covering the dockyard's history from its origins in the time of King Henry VIII to its demise in 1984.







Basement, used as air raid shelters during WWII


Inside one of the upper floors used as storage



 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines