News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Water Tower Development  (Read 27459 times)

Minsterboy

Re: Sheerness Water Tower Development
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 19:42:08 »
Mr. Bottles, you will probably find that the whole of Sheerness is classed as a "conservation area", although what exactly they're conserving is debatable given the current state of Sheerness.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 18:55:34 »
In our local paper the 'Sheerness Times Guardian' this week a planning application has gone in to Demolish the Water tower and pumping station which is in a conservation area.

Minsterboy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 20:00:11 »
Fair enough, I've no problem with that, so why haven't those people that want it to stay looking as it does, from the outside at least, done just that and got a campaign together and applied for Lottery money.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 19:36:04 »
In answer to your question, Minsterboy, make it into a museum, money from the lotery to fund the change.
There are two museums I know, bt they both need more room.   

Minsterboy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:43 »
The old view is really nice and made even better by the fact that there are no houses opposite in Trinity Road but sometimes in a modern world, with modern world requirements and costs, it isn't possible to re-create the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm someone who's lived on Sheppey all of his 64 years, lived his childhood in Sheerness and is so interested in Sheppey's history that I'm on this Forum, but I do despair at times.

Can you imagine how much extra it would probably cost to keep those buildings externally at least, still looking like that but made suitable inside for modern day living, and who would pay those costs, Sheppey's rate payers or a developer. Its the developer issue that I have watched with interest in recent years. We have several buildings in Sheerness, in various states of decay, which developers have shown an interest in and in the case of the Seaview pub have done a good job of replacing with some nice new buildings. Yet there are others, such as the Dockyard church and the Water Tower, where objections by people such as the Sheerness Society have made buying and improving the sites so restrictive and budget breaking that they just don't bother. Consequently, for many more years than is necessary we have to continue to look at continually decaying buildings, that are well past their best, because some people can't bear change.
It seems to me that before a developer is now able to decide on wether to buy an old building in Sheerness, he now needs to sit down with many people on Sheppey and ask them how they would like him to spend his money, not theirs, and how much aggro they are going to give him if he won't do it their way. The result as we have seen with the Dockyard Church and the Water Tower, is many years of producing free-range pigeons.
And before anybody gives the argument of Shurland Castle and how wonderful that now looks, which I totally agree with, after a conservation body fortunately renovated it - has the money spent been re-couped after two years on the market - no, is it still empty - yes, will it gradually fall into disrepair again - possibly. 

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:44 »
As I said in the other thread, next door and within roughly the same grounds and grouping are the Trinity offices used by the council at present. The council are moving out of here to the new 'Gateway' in the old Woolworths building in the main high street shortly, so I should imagine that will also be redundant soon. When you think about it rather than using a high street ( Old Woolworths site) store as the Gateway building they could have converted and used the water tower and Trinity buildings for that purpose and much more maybe.

See here for a lovely old picture of both buildings on the site..

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2797.msg33336#msg33336

And a street view of the area now...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=trinity+sheerness&hl=en&ll=51.439322,0.764564&spn=0.001712,0.88028&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.605358,28.168945&vpsrc=0&hq=trinity&hnear=Sheerness,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=10&layer=c&cbll=51.439322,0.764564&panoid=huYAxPSnCeH7M8dtKBfvaw&cbp=12,259.7,,0,-14.41

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:49 »
Like I said on the other thread about this building - it's just the type of building that companies like Weatherspoons sympathetically renovate and turn into successful business venues - plus the drinks and food are well priced  :)

They would probably keep a lot of the remaining fittings as part of the decor.

If you haven't already got a Weatherspoons in Sheerness - it might be worth contacting them.

Minsterboy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:57:40 »
Just out of interest, what would you guys suggest should happen to this giant pigeon loft and who do you feel should pay for what you might suggest. I would imagine that many people who live opposite this eyesore would be glad to see the back of it and would prefer the look of some new and clean buildings.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 21:58:28 »
I wasn't aware a listing could be taken away! Surely buildings are listed by virtue of their age and antiquity combined with their relative uniqueness. I know of many buildings that are 'listed' yet have been allowed to fall into disrepair and are now beyond saving.

How does this happen? Is foul play at hand here?

Suddenly it's purchased by a consortium of developers and loses its listed status and can be demolished! It's an outrage.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Sheerness Water Tower Development
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 22:53:22 »
I've scanned this from this weeks Sheerness Times Gaurdian.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines