News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Church of Scotland, Gillingham.  (Read 6967 times)

Wurzelmoonraker

Re: Church of Scotland, Gillingham.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 15:51:52 »
Not sure why this church closed, Medway Dweller, my guess is as it was a Church of Scotland, not many Scots attended, maybe they all left after the Dockyard closed.

That would make a lot of sense colin haggart. Tried googling it but extremely little on the web about the place.

It was the church of Scotland and my mother used to play the piano for the Sunday school from before my birth (1970) up until our family left in 1983. We regularly attended and have our names on the Christening Banner which used to hang on the wall. I remember many a Nativity dressed up as angels and shepherds wandering around the kirk with tinsel! We were all christened by Minister Ross who was a lovely man and always had time for us children. My mum with Mrs Campbell, Mrs Ramage and Mrs McDonald had the whole sunday school arranged between them! There were great links with the Medway Caledonian association, most of whom attended, and also with the Kent Association of Scottish Societies (KASS) which my dad held presidency of for a couple of years. I believe the societies still exist. There was a large church contingent all of whom regularly attended the Scottish Dances held (I think) by KASS in various venues around Kent. Unfortunately in the 1980's there were lots of redundacies in general (which was why we ourselves had to move from Kent,) not just from the dockyard. I do know that many families did return to Scotland, but many only had come for a few years in the first place so we were used to people coming and going. I have asked the National Archives about this church and I believe that most records were given to CityArk, although the banners may have gone to St Columbia's Church in London (head church for Church of Scotland in England.) I would very much like to find out more information should anyone have any. We were all very sad to see its demise.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:12 »
Tried googling it but extremely little on the web about the place.
I've managed to ascertain that the last minister was Reverend Ross and his predecessor was Reverend Carruthers.

There was a vase at the church which is now at the Gillingham United Reformed Church.  The inscription says:
Presented by WOS, S/SGTS, SGTS, and JUN N.C.O.S 24(F)coy RE Malta.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 23:05:59 »
Not sure why this church closed, Medway Dweller, my guess is as it was a Church of Scotland, not many Scots attended, maybe they all left after the Dockyard closed.

That would make a lot of sense colin haggart. Tried googling it but extremely little on the web about the place.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

anneb

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 13:33:02 »
My brother was christened there in 1964

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 06:46:48 »
I went to brownies and girl guides here.

merc

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 22:18:07 »
The church was called St. Margaret's and it opened on the 23rd November (funniliy enough today's date), 1866.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 21:53:43 »

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:23:57 »
I know the church was used as a nursery if i remember correctly?, it was all ways getting broken in to and vandalised was demolished a few years back i think? the date when it was a popper church was from 1950-1988.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 23:06:41 »
In case nobody can find this on Google map the street is actually SAXTON street, situated on the junction with Paget street. Anybody know how long the church has been gone and why?
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Church of Scotland, Gillingham.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 21:58:54 »
The church stood here untill recently.

It was in Saxon Street, Gillingham.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines