News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: South Mast Pond  (Read 8058 times)

merc

Re: South Mast Pond
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 16:55:12 »
I had a wander down there today and had a look at some of the work they're doing there. Here's part of the canal they uncovered that went from the South Mast Pond, then through a tunnel to an elliptical basin below the Brunel Sawmill.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 00:35:37 »
Wessex Archaeology 04/09/2014.

"We are working with the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust (CHDT) as part of the 'Command of the Oceans' project; a major 8.75 Heritage Lottery Fund/HCA funded project to improve the current visitor facilities and provide more access to some of the historic features that are currently hidden at the site.

He he. That should be 8.75 million. My typo :)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 22:27:50 »
Wessex Archaeology 04/09/2014.

"We are working with the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust (CHDT) as part of the 'Command of the Oceans' project; a major 8.75 Heritage Lottery Fund/HCA funded project to improve the current visitor facilities and provide more access to some of the historic features that are currently hidden at the site.

For the first phase David Britchfield from WA and Nigel Howard from CHDT excavated five test trenches targeting the 18th century South Mast Pond. The pond was used to store fir mast timbers under water, to keep them supple and to prevent them from drying out. Our aims were to determine the extent of the pond and to evaluate its condition, and the trenches produced some fascinating results."

More @ http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/news/2014/04/09/chatham-historic-dockyard

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:42:52 »
Yes, seen them. Need to be careful not to wander off topic as this thread is about the South Mast Pond.........don`t want to start the new year with a telling off from the moderators.

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:19:41 »
6 Slip provides a particular challenge because the slipway itself is still there. Unlike 3,4 and 5 slips, it was never filled in, it has merely been planked over and the river end bricked up.

Good point Bilgerat about 6 slip.  Also, have you noticed that the overfloor over this slip (which is steel plate on wooden trestles) has the "markings out" on it for the dimensions that plate had to be cut to for submarine manufacture in 7 slip... the markings are about half way down on the left (facing the river).
SA

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:49:45 »
Unfortunately, the area of land in question has always been earmarked for development. It was on the cards as far back as when the redevelopment of the former naval base was first planned. That doesn't make it right of course.

As far as the proposed multi-storey car park is concerned, if the South Mast Pond is restored, visitors to the Historic Dockyard are going to have to park somewhere. 6 Slip provides a particular challenge because the slipway itself is still there. Unlike 3,4 and 5 slips, it was never filled in, it has merely been planked over and the river end bricked up.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 08:48:11 »
It was (is?) on the development plan for that whole area of the former dockyard. A test trench dug there a few years ago revealed that the infrastructure of the pond to be more or less intact.

The development plan involved building houses, flats and retail units on the whole patch of land between the historic dockyard and the shopping centre, including building around the north mast pond. The Lower Boat House (next to the hotel) would be restored and converted into retail units and the land between the Brunel Saw Mill and the Timber Seasoning Sheds would also be developed. In return, the developer was to restore the South Mast Pond and also build a multi-storey car park inside Nos 5 and 6 slips and No 3 Machine Shop (between 6 and 7 slips). Also, the land around the Graving Slip up to Leviathan Way will also be developed.

The current economic climate has put the kybosh on it for now but I suspect it will happen eventually.

God forbid!

cliveh

hear, hear... the whole idea is crazy and will considerably spoil the architectural continuity of the area.  5 and 6 slips are completelty unsuitable for using as a multistorey car-park... as for number 3 machine shop that has a historic wood block floor in places and preserved narrow guauge tramway track for material handling trucks.  I doubt that would be a suitable foundation for a multistorey car park and thus will have come out.

SA

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 23:10:09 »
It was (is?) on the development plan for that whole area of the former dockyard. A test trench dug there a few years ago revealed that the infrastructure of the pond to be more or less intact.

The development plan involved building houses, flats and retail units on the whole patch of land between the historic dockyard and the shopping centre, including building around the north mast pond. The Lower Boat House (next to the hotel) would be restored and converted into retail units and the land between the Brunel Saw Mill and the Timber Seasoning Sheds would also be developed. In return, the developer was to restore the South Mast Pond and also build a multi-storey car park inside Nos 5 and 6 slips and No 3 Machine Shop (between 6 and 7 slips). Also, the land around the Graving Slip up to Leviathan Way will also be developed.

The current economic climate has put the kybosh on it for now but I suspect it will happen eventually.

God forbid!

cliveh

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 16:58:59 »

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
South Mast Pond
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 15:43:14 »
Did I read somewhere that there's talk of restoring the South Mast Pond???? Or am I imagining it????  :)

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines