News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Residential Glossary  (Read 9148 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline grandarog

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1124
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Residential Glossary
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 17:00:02 »
Hi Kyn,  :).

             View the full monty of building terms and descriptions on here,

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7431
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Residential Glossary
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 18:54:54 »
Bargeboard A board fastened to the projecting gables of a roof.
Cat-slide Roof A roof with one side longer than the other, usually over an extension.
Dormer A structural element that protrudes from a sloping roof.  Used to create usable spaces in the roof of a building.
Entasis A sight swelling of a decorative column to compensate for the illusion of concavity resulting from straight sides.
Gable A triangular portion of wall between the edges of a loping roof.
Hipped A roof with sloping ends or sides.
Inglenook A small recess that adjoins a fireplace.
Monogram A motif made by overlapping or combining two or more letters to form one symbol.
Mullion A vertical structure used to divide adjacent window units.
Oversailing A surface that projects beyond the general face of the wall immediately below.
Ridge Stack External part of chimney.
Ridge Tile A decorative tile that is bent in cross section and used to cover the ridge of a roof.
Sash Window One or more movable panels (sashes) that form a frame to hold panes of glass.
Stucco A render of aggregate, a binder and water used as a decorative coating for walls.
Transom A beam or bar in a frame, or separating a door from a window or fanlight above.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines