News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Residential Glossary  (Read 9123 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline grandarog

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1124
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Residential Glossary
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 17:00:02 »
Hi Kyn,  :).

             View the full monty of building terms and descriptions on here,

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7431
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Residential Glossary
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 18:54:54 »
Bargeboard – A board fastened to the projecting gables of a roof.
Cat-slide Roof – A roof with one side longer than the other, usually over an extension.
Dormer – A structural element that protrudes from a sloping roof.  Used to create usable spaces in the roof of a building.
Entasis – A sight swelling of a decorative column to compensate for the illusion of concavity resulting from straight sides.
Gable – A triangular portion of wall between the edges of a loping roof.
Hipped – A roof with sloping ends or sides.
Inglenook – A small recess that adjoins a fireplace.
Monogram – A motif made by overlapping or combining two or more letters to form one symbol.
Mullion – A vertical structure used to divide adjacent window units.
Oversailing – A surface that projects beyond the general face of the wall immediately below.
Ridge Stack – External part of chimney.
Ridge Tile – A decorative tile that is bent in cross section and used to cover the ridge of a roof.
Sash Window – One or more movable panels (sashes) that form a frame to hold panes of glass.
Stucco – A render of aggregate, a binder and water used as a decorative coating for walls.
Transom – A beam or bar in a frame, or separating a door from a window or fanlight above.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines