News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Medway News  (Read 7348 times)

merc

Re: The Medway News
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 13:49:13 »
A special souvenir edition for the last Medway News is due out this Thursday (8th December).

"A campaign to save the Medway News was discussed at a meeting between our employee representatives and our owners on Friday. Northcliffe is willing to meet with members of the community to discuss possible community ownership of the paper but only if a group comes up with a business plan and evidence of funding. Therefore, can everyone please share this with all their families, friends, colleagues or anyone whos ever read the News, just incase they might be able to help. Get them to "like" the Medway News FB page and share their ideas. Its a long shot but it would be remarkable if a solution could be found."

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 18:53:00 »
That is sad news indeed, I hope they will be donating whatever is left of their archives to either CityArk or the County Archives.
Or the K H F give kyn something to do in the long winter nights :)

I am sure Kyn has plenty to be doing over the long winter nights :)
Plus she has a trip to the Archives coming up, and hopefully the British Library, so there will be plenty of info for KHF on its way.  But it would be nice if the information from the papers is made available!

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 17:50:58 »
That is sad news indeed, I hope they will be donating whatever is left of their archives to either CityArk or the County Archives.
Or the K H F give kyn something to do in the long winter nights :)

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 17:37:59 »
The Sheppey Gazette a sister paper that finishes this week was also given away for a while. my wife got a free one this week at her works.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 14:53:49 »
That's another reminder - we don't get the free Medway Extra any more. We used to get a phone call now and again to check that it was being delivered.

But we still can't understand why anyone gave away free copies of Medway News - perhaps that's why it went broke. I always called it the "Chatham News".
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 14:40:00 »
Well, we don't get a Medway Extra through the door, just have bundles dumped at the bottom of our garden , had 3 lots now complete with binding !
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 14:35:20 »
We had a copy put through our letterbox late every Friday afternoon for several months - we have no idea where from. It stopped about a month ago. Did anyone else get one? - Luton area.
No luck for me, I've been buying mine down in the village, O do get the Medway KM extra free.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:36:20 »
Yes and still had one last  week. Rochester ? No idea where they came from  (and  free ) was nothing to do with the KM which we have delivered ??
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:50:00 »
We had a copy put through our letterbox late every Friday afternoon for several months - we have no idea where from. It stopped about a month ago. Did anyone else get one? - Luton area.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

merc

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 16:01:43 »
Thursday, September 16, 1897

The Chatham News Printing Works, an extensive range of buildings in High Street and Gundolf Road, Chatham, and the whole of the machinery , type, and plant were destroyed by fire early this morning.

From The Star.

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 23:31:03 »
A sad end to an institution.....
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 17:20:49 »
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

merc

The Medway News
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:42 »
I was sad to hear the 'Medway News' is closing down after 156 years of publication :(

The newspaper was established in 1855 as the Military Chronicle and Naval Spectator, it relaunched as the Chatham News and Rochester, Strood, Brompton & Gillingham Advertiser on Saturday 9 July, 1859. The first issue cost 1d.

The newspaper has been known as the Chatham News, the Medway News and just the News but held the the title Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham News (often known as the Roch-Chat-Gill) for the longest period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medway_News

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines