News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Drill Hall, Shellons Street, Folkestone  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
Re: Drill Hall, Shellons Street, Folkestone
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:43:24 »
Thanks for those pictures, Paolo!

The large building on the left was used by the TAVR, the one on the right by the ACF in the 1970s. The small, connecting building to the right of the right hand hall was a sergeant's mess, and the next building the platoon commander's office and communal area. Beyond the small buildings there would have been some others, forming the battalion office and then the stores and armoury on the far side of the hall.

It was great, it was just like the army had walked away in 1950 and nothing was changed.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 21:35:14 »
Probably taken just before demolition.  Acknowledgement to Alan Taylor of Folkestone Local History Society. 

Offline keniff

• Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:11:19 »
I remember the Drill Hall, it was, as you say, between St Eanswythe Way and Guildhall St. It was knocked down as part of the redevelopment of the area, initially to make way for Lidl? supermarket.
Black Beauty - There's a dark horse

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
Drill Hall, Shellons Street, Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:47:29 »
I was once in the Army Cadet Force in Folkestone in the late 1970s, and we were based in a drill hall in Shellons Street, actually down a side road I believe I see on Google marked as St. Eynswythe Way, about where the carpark is.

The building, from what I remember of its red brick architecture and references on the Internet was early 20th century. It was like a warehouse inside, split down the middle with the TA having half and the ACF the other. The TA side was better kept, while our side was like it had just finished the Second World War. Each half had a very large, blue pair of entry doors that were large enough to get any truck into. The Post Office used our part every Christmas time I was there as extra sorting space.

The main hall had a .22 indoor range with no protection for anyone wandering into the hall, only a small rom to shoot from and the butts at the other end of the hall. A rope was hung from a couple of what I suspect were Bren gun tripods in case anyone did wander too far into range. There were a few add-ons rooms to the buildings, we had: armoury, battalion offices, canteen, and a couple of small offices off the canteen which were used for the platoon command. Outside the canteen was a 1940s era toilet block.

We had a large concrete parade ground, and on the western edge was a 1940s 2 vehicle lorry garage.

That's about what I can remember, other than that the TA and us were Queens regiment. The whole place was demolished sometime in the 1980s.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines