News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gillingham Circus  (Read 6926 times)

merc

Re: Gillingham Circus
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:30 »
After an internet search I found this article from here: http://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/view.php?id=23907

It happened just over 30 years ago.

"families fled a stampede as five elephants went on the rampage at a circus in Gillingham.

Pandemonium broke out when Bo, a two year old bull terrier, took a detour from his walk, burst into the big top ring and bit jumbo Dum-Dum on the leg and trunk.

As the elephant trumpeted in fright, the rest of the herd stampeded round the ring at Sir Robert Fossett's circus on the great lines.

Circus director, Bailey Fossett said " it was a bit frightening and we tried to calm people down. The elephants rallied round when Dum-Dum was attacked by the dog ".

Thankfully though, no one, human or animal, was injured in the incident".

merc

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 20:48:58 »
I'm sure a number of years ago there was an incident, possibly involving an elephant???, at a circus on the Great Lines. Does anyone know any details please?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 20:05:03 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

KeithJG

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 14:20:05 »
Living in Copenhagen Road in the `50`s ... I was 8yrs in 1956, I do remember the circus coming to town.

Some images that can be used.

3pinplug

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 22:22:14 »
Thanks for the posts so far, good to hear your memories.
Anyone got an old photo from the beginning to mid 70's showing the procession through Gillingham.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 21:43:29 »
Gillingham Stn to the Lines Chatham Stn possibly Jacksons?

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 21:25:14 »
I spoke to my father about this one and he remembers it too. He lived in Chatham in the 50s & 60s, but remembers them going from Gillingham, in the same train yard he used to go to for buying coal!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

3pinplug

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 20:55:55 »
Hi Smiler,

Bit before my time the 50's, but thanks for sharing your memory, sounds as if it may have been common practice if you remember it at chatham, suppose the railway was an easy way of moving the animals around.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 17:47:30 »
I remember seeing elephants marching trunks to tails must have been very early 50s  but I think it was from Chatham station.

3pinplug

Gillingham Circus
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 17:15:04 »
Hi all

Lived in gillingham up until about 1981 and when I was young in the mid 70's the circus animals used to arrive by train at Gillingham station and be paraded along the high street to the circus that was normally pitched on the lines. I can remember being about 6yrs old and as an elephant walked past I rang the bell on my bike and spooked it,  it turned and came straight at me, the keeper earned his money that day and managed to stop it and turn back into the procession. Neither the wife or kids believe this event actually used to take place, so wonder if any members have any photos of the procession, then I'll be able to make them eat there words!
Thanks
Mark

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines