News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ramsgate seafront.  (Read 35853 times)

phelco

Re: Ramsgate seafront.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 21:51:31 »
aaaah the marina !!
i lived in birchington in the 60s and always remember the days at the Marina - those days when a day at the swimming pool was a complete day - u used to take a packed lunch and stay ALL day

in between dips in the freezing water u used to sit on the auditorium steps and chill out - or go into that bit to the side which was the sun trap (think it was a boating pool once)

out of the station - past chatham house - down the high street - along the seafront and past merrie england - remember the Long Bar (longest bar in england ???) - quick look at the helter skelter to see people spinning round the polished wood bowl at its bottom - then to the marina - dump ur clothes in the wire baskets and into the ice cold pool
there was a huge diving platform for the posers and the slides for us peasants

my kids brought up on the 2 hour sessions in an indoor pool cannot believe the fun of an all day pool day out

neros - remember the waitresses in togas - and there was an underground tunnel to tibrius cassino - and the glass floor

o wot days

ph

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 15:13:54 »
The `old` Ramsgate Rail Station used to be on the seafront at the Broadstairs end. I have a picture, which I can`t find, of a steam loco emerging from a tunnel. The station is now quite a distance from the seafront so when we went to Ramsgate by rail we always alighted at Dumpton Park and used the miniature railway which, I believe, ran through the same tunnel as the Southern Railway Steamers. It only cost a few pence and saved a long walk or a bus fare. When you got off the little train everything was there, the large swimming pool, amusements, cafes and my favourite, the Bowlslide. There must be many pictures of both rail stations, the Bowlslide and much more.

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:18 »
The second picture brings back memories to me too - we used to have relatives in Ramsgate and spent our holidays there most years until I was about 13 - can remember sitting outside at those tables drinking pepsi and eating cheese and onion crisps after a hard day on the beach...

The first picture  makes me feel sad...
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:49 »
I remember me and my Grandad sitting outside that Bar me with a Pint and him with a Pepsi :)

I was about 6,I remember thinking id like to live in that Chalet thing above the bar,And ending up with lines on my legs from those chairs..
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Paul Narramore

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 23:05:24 »
The second picture brought back happy memories for me. During the 60s a friend and I used to race our bikes around our favourite circuit along the seafront and round the Marina hairpin, up the hill and along Wellington Crescent, down the hill past Albion House then back past the harbour onto the seafront. Happy times. The wilful destruction of this once superb seafront is an act of criminal desecration.

blitzbob

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:44:52 »
Hi

This isn't the old railway tunnel into the cliffs, but underneath the road down to Marina Esplanade are some arches - you can see them at the bottom of this page:

http://www.historicmedway.co.uk/outsidemedway/ramsgate.htm

They're also visible on Google Earth at:

5120'10.01"N   125'44.92"E

Does anyone know what they are or were?

I know the page is a bit rough - I'm tidying it up and adding new photos soon.  The black and white restaurant was being torn down when I last visited, so I have some photos of that to go in.  It's a bit sad thinking back to how it was when I was small, with the amusement park that I never realised was a railway station!

Cheers

Jason

The arches are road support, and used as part of the beer garden for storage. and a arcade used part of them, not neros they never used them. Neros was used as a Red cross clearing station from Dunkirk. The Tunnel Railway stopped running after an accident. My brother was running the cartoon cinema on the front in the 60s and was going to take over the railway for a season but the accident stopped that.

bob

Monkton Malc

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 17:56:27 »
I remember the bowl slide along there as well as the tunnel railway :)

Here is a picture of me enjoying a day at Ramsgate sands in June 1961

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 15:32:06 »
Paul i think you will find the Beatles only played the winter gardens in Margate, the Stones played at the Westcliff hall and the Dreamland Ballroom, [as support to the Baron Knights]
All though a large amount off sand was removed from the beach for use as infill for the ferry terminal, if you look at any old postcards or photos the beach level was a lot lower than it is now, 

Paul Narramore

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:28:55 »
Ah, the Supreme Ballroom with it's frosted glass (and underlit) floor and it's mirrored revolving ball. I saw Manfred Mann there. Coronation Ballroom. PJ Proby famously split his trousers there. The West Cliff Hall - in the early 60s, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones performed there. Within weeks both bands had Number 1 records and would never return. Is the Motor Museum still there?

I was born and lived in Truro Road behind the Granville House, and as a boy spent every summer on the beach. We'd collect pop bottles all morning and take them back to collect a penny a bottle. We'd get enough money
 to buy fish & chips for lunch then go to the Marina Pool in the afternoon.

They tragically 'stole' much of the beach to create the Pegwell Bay Hoverport then slowly wrecked the seafront as I knew it. I remember one morning discovered that the steps (Jacob's steps?) had collapsed during the night. Remember the Bowl a'Slide at the bottom?

Happy days. Whoever allowed this desicration to happen deserves shooting.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 19:42:17 »
Before being called Neros it was the Supreme Ballroom, Most of the top bands in the 1960s played there.
The other main Dance hall in this area was the Coronation Ballroom which was in the top part off the Merrie England amusement hall which was the old railway station. On the west cliff you also had the Westcliff Hall now closed, used to be the moror museum for a number of years.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 16:22:12 »
The amusements that used to be there was great :)

Remember the clown faces on the wall :D

They were there up to a couple of years ago.

Offline nev

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:23:31 »
Somewhere along the amusments there used to be a 6ft high electronic cowboy,where one put your sixpence or shilling in the slot to try and out draw him with your gun,He would then say something like ok green horn go for your gun now. :D but that was somewhere in the early 60s.
Im a sheppy coppers son!

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:21 »
The amusements that used to be there was great :)

Remember the clown faces on the wall :D
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 16:19:58 »
I took these photos yesterday.

Train tunnel area.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member