News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Staples Printers, Love Lane, Rochester  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Re: Staples Printers, Love Lane, Rochester
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 14:33:01 »
I know that we all had to put our names inside the cover of all books we had done and the piece of paper was then glued to the hard outer cover so if there was a fault by pulling the sheet off you could see who's initials or signature was on it, I remember doing the WHO's WHO and also the EARLY YEAR BOOK but when the Chelsea flower show was on it was as if we went double the speed to get the catalogues done asap.
Not sure about your tale as it may have happened before I worked there or after but it is true we had to put put our names to show who had done what in the bindery.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:25:13 »
When I was an apprentice in the printing trade I came into contact with some Staple`s apprentices and heard a tale which I have no idea if it`s true. All printers are/were obliged to put their `imprint` on certain items of work. There was a hefty fine per copy if this was not complied with. The story goes that on a large catalogue for one of the big exhibitions, possibly the `Ideal Home` or `Motor Show`, the imprint was overlooked and Staples sent all the Bindery ladies up to Olympia with printed stickers to put on the catalogues as they were sold at the door.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:50:35 »
I worked in the bindery department collecting pages , loading and sewing them together and loading them to be cut ,it was a fascinating insight into the old ways that books were put together my mother in law and her sisters used to check them for faults and my father in law would be working in the pressing department,I can always remember the rush when the Chelsea flower show books were due and also the leaflets we stapled for all the big hotels, it was my first job and certainly left a great impression on me with such a lovely bunch of people who were just like an extended family.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 14:02:48 »
When serving my apprenticeship I went there quite often with a mechanic to do various repairs to machines, as a 15/16 year old a lot of those girls sure knew how to make me colour up.
I knew Les Hoskins worked there [was he a reader?] nicknamed the unicorn due to the large wart in the middle of his forehead

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:28:37 »
Derek Sparkes and I were best mates at school. He left school to become an apprentice book-binder and we lost touch, although I did hear later that he became an Inspector with Maidstone & District buses, and also married one of my wife's schoolfriends.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Staples Printers, Love Lane, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:33:18 »
Back in the 70s I used to work here and I thought that maybe some of you may find the site interesting.
 Here is their web address.   http://www.staplesprintersrochester.co.uk/index.html

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines