News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Mystery Fire at The Co-operative Works, Sheerness.  (Read 7541 times)

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
Re: Mystery Fire at The Co-operative Works, Sheerness.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 15:54:42 »
The Co-operative Works Fire, was in Broad Street.  The buildings were entered through an archway, on the left hand side of the road going from the New Rd. junction to Railway Road.  Jewsons is now built on the area.

There also used to be some timber houses in New Rd, before you got to the playing fields, which had an entrance going through to the back entrances, and I think these are the wooden houses mentioned as being involved in the fire.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 13:49:21 »
Lovely clear photo C.H.
The 2  petrol pumps were down that lttle open section  on the l.h. side next to the CC and the cars wanting petrol pulled up after crossing  over the pavement alongside the pumps and then reversed back to the main road. Not many cars about then !!!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 22:58:35 »
CDP, I think this is where you mean, the CC is to the right of my photo.

It was at one time, W. read, car and cycle hire, it has been a few shops over the years.
I took this photo last year.

Minsterboy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 06:30:50 »
Ah, I see where your coming from CDP, I remember Standen's garage in the Broadway next to the CC, we used to take our accumalators there for exchange.
However, at the rear I'm sure the Co-op had some workshops in the 1960's at least, because my next door neighbour at the time used to work there. He emigrated to Australia in the late 1960's/early 70's to join up with his mate Rod Hull out there and went on to become a successful script writer on Aussie TV.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 23:25:25 »
Hello Minsterboy .
Perhaps with the passing of time ???
But I am ( almost certain ) the front near the CC was that garage with two petrol pumps down the side of the shop .This was circa 1940/50 ish and perhaps Standen sold the back section to the co-op when he built the Halfway garage for his son and turned the front  of the garage into a  shop ? and also the  cars would have difficulty filling up with petrol .And this at a time when motor cars were becoming more popular ?

Minsterboy

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 13:33:10 »
CDP, are you sure that the Co-op never had any involvement with the place behind the CC.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 13:08:41 »
Unfortunately, the CFO's report doesn't give the actual address Colin. Alas, I don't know Sheerness that well.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 12:09:45 »
The garage beside the C.C. was owned by Standen and later turned into a shop.I bought our first pram  there when  Bill Baxter  was the manager .Standen later built the Halfway Garage for his very active son.
During the 1920-30's my father worked there . Part of his job was to collect  and return cars from the publc to be  repaired and therefore drove cars he had not seen before AND he never had a license.OMG!!

Minsterboy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 06:38:35 »
The 1957 fire was probably at their New Road Depot. They had several, single story buildings there opposite the Playing Fields, part of which were their dairy. They also had a garage/fitting shop I believe, behind the Conservative Club, with an entrance off Royal Road.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 22:34:07 »
Is this the same place where the 1923 fire was, AFSRochester?

I scanned this from, Bygone Sheppey, by Martin Hawkins.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Mystery Fire at The Co-operative Works, Sheerness.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:34:23 »
At 18.50 hours on 24th April 1957, the Brigade were called to a fire at the Co-operative Works in Sheerness. On arrival at the incident a single-storey building about 120ft x 30ft containing stacks of timber, drums of paint, turpentine and general building materials was found to be well alight and a further single-storey building used as offices and workshops, a warehouse containing about 25.000 worth of provisions, and a row of two-storey timber constructed terraced houses, were rapidly becoming involved.

The spread of the fire was being greatly assisted by a north-easterly gale and the bituminous-felted timber roof of the building on fire. Assistance was rendered to the Brigade by personnel of the R.A.A. Regiment, and crews from two whole-time and one retained stations had the fire under control inside an hour, using four jets from hydrants nearby. Crews were detained for a further four hours on general fire fighting operations.

The cause of the outbreak, which severely damaged the general store and caused slight damage to adjoining buildings, remains unknown.

Extract from the Annual Report to the CFO 1957/8

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines