Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bands from Kent  (Read 70575 times)

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
Re: Bands from Kent
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2013, 16:54:10 »
No, I'm sorry, Babs, I was just being a bit petulant.  And it's ooby with lower case 'oo'.

And still on topic....When I worked in the White Cliffs Hotel in the early/mid 1960's there was a group who played first in the basement bar, then latterly in the main restaurant called 'The Gremlins'. I occasionally joined them onstage in my waiters attire (back dickie bow tie and trousers, white shirt and jacket) to sing '24 Hours From Tulsa', much to the anger of the manager, a Mr Bourdini and the head waiter a Monsieur LeTigre. I wonder if anyone has heard of them or knows what happened to them.
2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline babs

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2013, 15:38:09 »
Sorry Oobydooby, I didn't mean it was irrelevant to the site.  In fact, all of the originals came from the Medway Towns, one of whom went on to be Mayor.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2013, 18:17:12 »
The Vanity Fayre that Oobydooby speaks about is certainly not the original band.  The originals would be either approaching or past their 70's by now.  The originals went their separate ways back in the early 70's.
I don't dispute that, but whatever else they may be or have been, three of them are from Kent, so can be still be relevant to this thread.
2014 A Hayes

Offline babs

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2013, 15:15:10 »
The Vanity Fayre that Oobydooby speaks about is certainly not the original band.  The originals would be either approaching or past their 70's by now.  The originals went their separate ways back in the early 70's.

Offline RogerGunkel

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2013, 15:29:00 »
Hi Ann :)

The Tony Hayes that I knew about definately lived in Hoo.(this would be the very early '80's) He is credited for co-writing "Black is Black" with Michelle Grainger and Steve Wadey. The song was a No.1 hit in 1966 for Los Bravos. It was later covered by a French Disco Girl Group La Belle Epoque   in 1977 which reached No2 in the British Charts.
Hadn't looked at this thread for a while, but have a few additions to this post. I never met Tony Hayes  but, while working for a short while as a draughtsman in Strood, a new draughtsman joined the firm called Steve Wadey. He told me he lived in Hoo and had co-written Black is Black and although I was dubious at first, we got to know each other well through a mutual interest in music. I was only 19 at the time and Steve had quite an influence on me over the months that we worked together, as he encouraged me to start my own business. He showed me how to set up a limited company and was a great believer in pushing yourself.

Steve was always telling me he was waiting for a royalty cheque from his publisher, which was why he was working as a draughtsman, and was going to start building multi track studio recorders as soon as the cheque arrived. One day he walked into the drawing office with a big smile on his face, saying he had received a cheque for South American royalties for 30000 and was immediately handing in his notice. I did wonder whether it was Steve who bought out Tony Hayes, as he was a shrewd guy.

I kept loose contact with him for a few years, and sure enough, he started a company called 'Cadey' which produced early multi track studio recorders. It became quite successful and in the early 1980s, I actually came by one of his recorders for my own studio? I believe Steve moved to Australia where he carried on with a successful business, but I have no idea what he is doing now.

Roger

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2013, 15:26:03 »
Re: Vanity Fare.
Vanity Fare were still going strong and touring with the Solid Silver Sixties Show in 2012.  I saw them in Dundee where they were backing Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits), Chris Montez, Brian Hyland and Brian Poole of the Tremoloes.  In previous years with the same show they supported Dave Berry, Chris Farlowe and Wayne Fontana.

Their line-up then, and presumably still is, Mark Ellen, Bernie Hagley and the fabulous Eddie Wheller, all from the Medway area and Steve Oakman whose birthplace I cannot establish.

At a signing session after the gig, from the back of the crowd, I shouted "Up the Gills" as Hagley was from Gillingham and they gave a cheer and I spent a few minutes chatting to them about Kent.

They do have a web site and fan pages.
2014 A Hayes

John38

« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2013, 15:07:40 »
Not the same type of band that has gone before, but I was a member of the St John Ambulance Brigade`s (as it was) band in Sheerness. We had a great time and did every carnival in Kent and got as far as Chelmsford and Harwich. Real claim to fame was Rod Hull (later of Emu fame) and me playing a fanfare in St Paul's Cathedral for HRH The Princess Margaret.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2013, 14:11:45 »
Whilst working at Squires & Knight [formally Barnes & Brookers] I worked on the car owned by the lad who wrote [helped write?] the big 60s hit "Black is Black" if I remember right he sold his rights to the song for the price of this second hand Ford Corsier. Think he came from Hoo and was courting Squires daughter.

I thought his first name was Tony too, but dont recognise the Hayes surname - tall chap with blonde hair. I recall him driving a sports type car..  My chap lived at Knights Place, Strood, but used to frequent a pub in Hoo with a chap called Bob.   (ah memories - if only I could remember them in detail!)

Crumbs!!  My name is Tony Hayes, not the one referred to here, and my brothers name is Bob.  My uncle used to work in the refinery at Hoo and I often frequented a pub there in the 1960's, as well as the social club.  At the time I lived in Gillingham.
2014 A Hayes

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2013, 22:52:57 »
I knew Alan Ryder when I worked at the Council with him and when I was active in the Medway music scene (1970/93) Alan was a really friendly chap and we always stopped and chatted about music whenever our paths crossed. Obviously I knew about his band, but never saw them.

His Son Jez, (a first rate guitarist and singer) became internationally famous with Wang Chung 1977/91. He is now known professionally as "Jack Hues."

sandynan46

« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2013, 20:47:49 »
Lord Padlock, I am proud to say played at my wedding in 1967.  Dave Pope is a great friend, and as Jim Bell says  is still living in Wouldham as he did back in the day.(Hi Jim, this is Sandra Harrod)

Can anyone remember a dance band though, called Alan Ryder Band, they used to play at the Pavillion in Gillingham, late fifties, early sixties.  My uncle Ken was the drummer. 

Jim Bell

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2013, 17:32:17 »
 Thanks PeterJ.
My memory told me it was Melvyn Wallace ...not Mervyn, though I could be wrong.
A brilliant guitarist...especially with the old "Rock" songs, such as Route 66.
Trying to recall Lead Singers name.??? I believe he lived behind Tesco in Chatham.
I used to go round Holiday Camps with them on Sheppey, and I recall a competition held at The Lido in Margate.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2013, 20:07:14 »
The drummer with the Padlocks was Harvey Keys.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2013, 20:02:52 »
Lord Padlock show band also had the the two Wallace brothers in it, Malcolm and Mervyn. The latter was arrested in the Far East for drug offences I seem to recall.
Before he joined the "Padlocks" Dave Pope played with the late Bill Dobbie in Phase Three.

Jim Bell

« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2013, 08:12:45 »
What a great site.
Andy Neal now plays with Dirtie Bertie, and has a roofing business in Rainham.
Does anyone remember Lord Padloc Showband from the 70's?
Dave Pope still lives in Wouldham.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 53
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2013, 18:07:34 »
"With many other types of English progressive music developing mostly in London, it may at first seem strange that the old pilgrimage centre and relatively quiet cathedral city of Canterbury became the centre of this very English form of progressive music and jazz fusion....
...Canterbury was then to be the cradle for several of the more freewheeling bands of the post-psychedelic era."

Everything you wanted to know about about the Canterbury scene can probably be found here @ http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=12
Daevid Allen to Zyma, via Kevin Ayers, the Wilde Flowers, Robert Wyatt, etc. top 100 albums, reviews, sample songs, etc.
Useful too for the wider prog rock scene.
Enjoy.

An amazing period in music history.  Many of the bands and musicians mentioned were customers who used my music shop in The Friars, Canterbury (Socodi Music Ltd).  In addition to the prog rock guys many of the local bands had their own transit vans.  A Saturday would find a long line of them parked outside my shop (before yellow lines) and inside the shop was a regular jam session.  Good times...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines