News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bands from Kent  (Read 89631 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Bands from Kent
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2013, 18:40:12 »
An update on Baby Grand.

Rufus was a member of BG in all but name from early 1979. He took over from Bubbs Hardy when he left, who had in turn replaced Simon Hurst.

They reformed in 1995/6 with Mark's brother Matthew on Drums ( he is mentioned elsewhere in this topic).

Baby Grand are still playing today with Andy Jenkins now occupying the drum slot. (He is a fantasic drummer and a nice bloke as well.)

I know I'm biased, but BG have always been a great little band, and if you get the chance, GO AND SEE THEM! You won't be disappointed.

Offline Clankypup

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2013, 20:36:34 »
I too have got a signed copy of "A Kentish Garland" by Tundra. I think that I saw them playing a small venue in Maidstone in the late 70s.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2013, 13:33:59 »
I was at school with Nitin Sawhney, he was a couple of years above me but wow what a guitar player!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitin_Sawhney
He appears to have done quite well.
Has anyone else come across "Tundra" folk group from the 1970s? I still have a signed album "A Kentish Garland", think I saw them at The Old Ash Tree but it could have been elsewhere, most of their songs were very Kent/Medway based.
In the very early 70s, a Folkestone group called Captain Black played at a friend`s party, they were quite good.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 124
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2013, 09:45:06 »
The March 2013 copy of Record Collector magazine has a feature on the 'Canterbury Sound'. I only glanced at it in W.H.Smith's, it's mainly about the group Caravan but I think some other groups are mentioned as well.

http://recordcollectormag.com/articles/a-canterbury-tale
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2013, 23:16:39 »
Kevin Ayers, musician, born Herne Bay 16 August 1944, died Montoliev, France, 18 February 2013.

Stranger in Blue Suede Shoes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0ewd_p-fg
Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2012, 09:45:47 »
The Dentist's played regularly in the Good Intent, Rochester in the mid 80s.

silkenrobe

« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2012, 08:26:05 »

The Dentists (Medway)

Ah, a very good claim to fame - I was at school, from infants to secondary with Bob Collins  :)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2012, 20:57:12 »
Other members of Baby Grand over the years have been:

Jon Hayes (drums) Colin Mcleod, (drums) Simon Darby, (Bass),  Melvyn Arnott (Bass), Jeff Faulkener (Bass), Valerie Hill (Vocals), Simon Hurst (keyboards), Bubbs Hardy (Guitar) and Ian "Rufus" Rufel (Guitar).

The original line-up was Dermot, Gina, Richard, Melvyn and Jon.

The final line up in November 1979 when the band split was,

Dermot, Richard, Rufus, Mark and Myself.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2012, 14:37:55 »
I used to sing with Baby Grand in the 70s, we had a great band.

Not 'Arf! :)

Gina Carter (Vocals) Dermot Bassett (Vocals) Richard Manktelow (Guitar) MarK Letley (Bass) and yours truly (Drums).

gina drexler

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2012, 16:32:16 »
I used to sing with Baby Grand in the 70s, we had a great band, still love music and go to many gigs, seems an age ago....Gina Drexler living at New Romney!!!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2012, 22:59:19 »
Whilest in my Apprenticeship in the Dockyard (winter 68-69 ) I worked with a Guy called Barry Bailey. He was Guitarist in a band called .. Backhouse James Blues Band.. I remember they recorded an album which featured in a full page article in the Chatham Standard.

The Backhouse James Blues Band album was recorded in 1968 and just 30 copies were pressed.
The current price (if you can find a copy) is 1,800++!!
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=569320
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/2012/september/15/rare_vinyl.aspx ( May be slow link.)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2012, 00:44:07 »
"With many other types of English progressive music developing mostly in London, it may at first seem strange that the old pilgrimage centre and relatively quiet cathedral city of Canterbury became the centre of this very English form of progressive music and jazz fusion....
...Canterbury was then to be the cradle for several of the more freewheeling bands of the post-psychedelic era."

Everything you wanted to know about about the Canterbury scene can probably be found here @ http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=12
Daevid Allen to Zyma, via Kevin Ayers, the Wilde Flowers, Robert Wyatt, etc. top 100 albums, reviews, sample songs, etc.
Useful too for the wider prog rock scene.
Enjoy.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2012, 20:39:27 »
Coke and crisps! You must have all been listening to Lucy in the sky with diamonds!

:)  That would be it - but unfortunately not - just coca cola and packets of crisps with the little blue twist of paper with salt in.  Rolling Stones, Shadows, Beatles and the rest of the Mersey mob.  The nearest we got to lighting effects was if a starter failed in one of the flourescent lights  :)

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2012, 16:33:38 »
Coke and crisps! You must have all been listening to Lucy in the sky with diamonds!

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2012, 21:43:01 »
Does anyone remember the Saturday Night Dances in Canterbury?  Frank Hooker School, St Thomas's Hall, Prince of Wales Youth Club, Littlebourne Hall.  Bands that I remember Johnny Kid and the Pirates, Ways and Means, The Satans, Swinging Secrets.   There was always one Saturday Night Dance on in one of the venues.  No alcohol - just coke and crisps (and potato puffs at the school dances)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines