Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bands from Kent  (Read 70574 times)

Offline babs

• Appreciation 0
Re: Bands from Kent
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2012, 15:26:51 »
YoungNan mentioned Vanity Fair.  Tony Gordon later hecame a councillor.  They used to play regularly at the Good Companions club, at the top of Star Hill, now the Independent College.  Tony Jarrett and Lee Fairbrother were other members.  The singer, whose name escapes me now lives in either Norway or Denmark.  They were also previously known as the The Sages.

silkenrobe

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2012, 07:12:41 »

Im sure Ive heard that Jools Holland has connections with Cooling? House near the Castle?

Jools Holland owns the castle, doesn't he?  Think he got married there as well

YoungNan

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2012, 05:32:34 »

Oh and of course Chicory Tip!  Saw them at the Malti Inn a couple of years ago....sang  a lot of covers, and I waited all evening for the infamous "Love Grows"   I was the nutty one singing and waving along!!
 :)

YoungNan

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2012, 05:29:32 »

As previously mentioned...Vanity Fair. Im sure one of the members Tony (surname starts with G I think) later became a Councillor. I did have a newspaper cutting about them when I was at school in my "Scrap Book" but really dont know what happened to that :(

Im sure Ive heard that Jools Holland has connections with Cooling? House near the Castle?

Remember seeing Eddison Lighthouse at a venue in Maidstone..ahhhh  Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes..............

Used to go to The Copper Penny Boutique, but didnt realise a singer worked there (previous reply mentioned it)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 53
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2012, 20:56:47 »
Anyone remember Flight 56 Rock?  Canterbury band that had quite a few succesful tours of UK/Europe in the 70s.  Little Tina was the singer.  Band is still going under that name i believe but not with all of the original line-up.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2012, 15:04:22 »
Thank you for the information misseda paeg :)

Offline misseda paeg

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2012, 13:36:57 »
reply to afsrochester - I don't actually remeber the Late Show, as I'd already left the UK on my travels .... however, Bill Clift (of the Late Show) who also attended Gillingham Tech School can be found here :

http://www.myspace.com/billclift

Fred the Needle

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:43 »
Chicory tip  son of my father fame, im sure came from maidstone
Not sure if it was Maidstone, but some of them at least came from Kent.  The mother of one of the guitarists was a "sometimes" customer in my Dad's shop.  I think she lived on St Williams Way in Rochester.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 13:25:48 »
Does anyone remember the band Late Show? They had quite a big following in Medway 1977/8. They played at the Tammy quite a few times and had a top 40 hit with "The Bristol Stomp" An excellent band and absolutely brilliant live!! :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 13:16:55 »
Smiler :) Would that be be Tony Hayes by any chance?
Really cant remember his name but they certainly couldn't have realised how big a hit it was going to be, must have lost a fortune in royalties.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:34 »
Hi Ann :)

The Tony Hayes that I knew about definately lived in Hoo.(this would be the very early '80's) He is credited for co-writing "Black is Black" with Michelle Grainger and Steve Wadey. The song was a No.1 hit in 1966 for Los Bravos. It was later covered by a French Disco Girl Group La Belle Epoque   in 1977 which reached No2 in the British Charts.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:52 »
Whilst working at Squires & Knight [formally Barnes & Brookers] I worked on the car owned by the lad who wrote [helped write?] the big 60s hit "Black is Black" if I remember right he sold his rights to the song for the price of this second hand Ford Corsier. Think he came from Hoo and was courting Squires daughter.

I thought his first name was Tony too, but dont recognise the Hayes surname - tall chap with blonde hair. I recall him driving a sports type car..  My chap lived at Knights Place, Strood, but used to frequent a pub in Hoo with a chap called Bob.   (ah memories - if only I could remember them in detail!)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:26 »
Smiler :) Would that be be Tony Hayes by any chance?

Geoff B

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31:49 »
The Singing Loins are one of the best Raw Folk Bands in the country and are from Kent. They sing songs about places in Kent, favouring the underdog. Some to the point, but with a sense of humour. They are from Wouldham and Gillingham.

Songs range from ascending Chatham Hill,The Topless Twins of Allhallows on Sea, The whores of Rochester, Old ferry Lane in Wouldham. And many more  They have a massive following. they play at the Sweeps Festival and have been going since the 1990s. They are still playing today. Their sound is unique and not as other traditional folk bands are. Some of their work can be listened to on the website.

http://www.singingloins.co.uk/ 

The first clip below is Old Ferry Lane Wouldham about distressed people jumping off the Medway Bridge and their bodies floating up the river.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtgiheVSr8 

A live clip from you tube ascending Chatham Hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivBopDbPRyY

There are plenty more on You Tube

They certainly liven up any venue or festival. People from all age groups covered here :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:14 »
Whilst working at Squires & Knight [formally Barnes & Brookers] I worked on the car owned by the lad who wrote [helped write?] the big 60s hit "Black is Black" if I remember right he sold his rights to the song for the price of this second hand Ford Corsier. Think he came from Hoo and was courting Squires daughter.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines