Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bands from Kent  (Read 75818 times)

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Re: Bands from Kent
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 23:37:08 »
I recently found out that all the former playing members of Mr E are now, sadly, deceased.

grantidge

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 23:22:51 »
afsrochester

I am sorry to have to tell you, but both the Niven brothers died, way before their time.  How sad for their parents.

I remember Winkle Bill, Sindelfingen and Baby Grand.  A girl called Gina who worked in the Copper Penny boutique used to sing with Baby Grand, as I recall.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 23:05:15 »
I managed a Medway group in the early 70's called Mr E and we played at most of the club's in the towns and also in Essex. Bob Vosper from Gillingham on drums, Bill Dobbie  on lead guitar and Brendan Keenen on rhythum/bass guitar.both from Hoo We did the reopening night at the Old Ash Tree along with Chicory Tip who had been on TOTP that week. I have a newspaper cutting showing Bill Dobbie with Rod Clout. The Aarons used to play most weekends at the Angel in Strood. They asked us to fill in for them one Friday, never again, it was like playing in a Wild West saloon with fights breaking out including two women who set about each other on the dance floor.......and the band played on!
Another popular group were the Lord Padlock's including the Wallace brothers and Harvey Keys. Other local club/pub groups were the Peter Elligate Trio, the Electrons and the Jonny Young Four(country pop) who did the rounds. The last named used to back George Hamilton when he was over here.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 19:28:47 »
Having stirred the old grey matter, two other names concerned with Fang, Brothers Rob and Doug Niven, keyboard player and drummer.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 17:08:12 »
The drummer in Sindelfingen, Matt Letley (who was 12 at the time) went on to play in David Essex's band for a few years. He has been Status Quo's drummer since 2000, A really gifted drummer and a nice guy as well.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 53
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 16:33:13 »
David Essex came hop picking in Kent - he's often refered to the fact at his concerts in Kent. Lost his favourite berry on one trip......   Now has a pad on the front in Whitstable.

Offline editorsfoot

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 16:23:41 »
Shouldn't forget Jools Holland, he likes to talk up his connections with Kent.

Offline smiffy

• Appreciation 53
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 14:38:04 »
G Flat Snurkle Love Pipe - I remember that name, I think my brother may have known Keith Dallison from school.

I'm not sure but didn't The Sweet have a Kent connection? I believe King Crimson may have one, too.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 13:14:44 »
Quite possibly chippy1. I remember that one of the drummers and the bass player(?) from the Glitter Band were in a band that played at the Tammy.

chippy1

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 13:09:00 »
Fang were a good, tight little band. Shame about Keith. I didn't know that he was no longer with us. Jammed with him a couple of times up at the Tam 'O Shanter. Here are a few names of bands that I can remember from Medway and beyond mid to late 70's

Winkle Bill, Baby Grand, Sindelfingen, Cenet Rox, The Pop Rivets, Crow Jane Blues Band, Saracen, Nicky Moore Band, Diablo, LBW, No Mercy. All very good bands in their day and some extremely talented musicians amongst them. Anyone else remember any of these or others?
Wasnt there a group called Ex Directory(the Glitter Band)

chippy1

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 13:06:38 »
Back in the 70s there was a band called Columbus who played in the hall above the Odeon in Rochester they were really good I still have a picture of them I wonder what they are doing now....
[/quote

Didnt they end up touring America.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 12:51:54 »
Back in the 70s there was a band called Columbus who played in the hall above the Odeon in Rochester they were really good I still have a picture of them I wonder what they are doing now....
***I am still the child within***

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 12:49:13 »
Fang were a good, tight little band. Shame about Keith. I didn't know that he was no longer with us. Jammed with him a couple of times up at the Tam 'O Shanter. Here are a few names of bands that I can remember from Medway and beyond mid to late 70's

Winkle Bill, Baby Grand, Sindelfingen, Cenet Rox, The Pop Rivets, Crow Jane Blues Band, Saracen, Nicky Moore Band, Diablo, LBW, No Mercy. All very good bands in their day and some extremely talented musicians amongst them. Anyone else remember any of these or others?

Offline kms

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 01:33:39 »

Siouxsie and the Banshees (Bromley)

Orbital (Otford)

grantidge

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 23:59:03 »
The Immaculate Fools, from Rochester.  They were moderately successful in the UK, but absolutely huge in Europe, and they moved there.  I knew the Weatherill brothers, Kev and Paul quite well before they formed this band.  At the time I knew them, they had a band called Fang, with the late Keith Dallison on vocals.  What a great singer; could give Rod Stewart a run for his money, but he had a congenital illness of which he died eventually.  And in the Sixties, they were in another band with the delightful name of The G Flat Snurkle Love Pipe.

I bumped into Paul quite recently and we had a chat.  He described that level of fame as terrific at first, but that it became a burden, and eventually he got out of the music business.  Kev is still gigging as blues artist Dirty Ray.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines