News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Traction Engines in Holman's Meadow, Canterbury  (Read 13394 times)

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
Re: Traction Engines in Holman's Meadow, Canterbury
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 20:28:10 »
Thanks Strangelights, really good information.

DTT

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 14:42:46 »
Thank you Strangelights. I never met either Gentlemen, didn't know there were two!

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

strangelights

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 22:22:02 »
I spoke to Trevor Lewis Evans today as he is a very good friend of ours.It was he who purchased the steam engines from Holmans meadow along with some stone carts.He knows the engines are still around and mentioned the one which is pictured,now painted green with a canopy fitted.He said that he believed that the other engine is now on display at Chatham dockyard.The Ashford steam centre that is mentioned was run by his brother Esmund Lewis Evans who is also still alive and well.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 09:35:36 »
Seeing as these were a pair of plougher I can confirm that it is not the general purpose that Bretts had. Their's was a rare make, one of only two left and I can't remember the maker. I was too young to know much about the Ashford Steam Center other than they had the O1, C and H classes there along with a couple of the Bullied double deck cars there. They had the a couple of roads along side the main loco depot. It closed in a hurry with a little scandal and the H & C went into the national collection but the O1 vanished for the best part of thiry years. Have now gone off topic, sorry.

That hut I feel that I know quite well but just can't place it. Nice to see the Caffyns Recovery vehicle. I have now exhausted my knowledge of Holmans Medow.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 23:16:39 »
Nice one guys, good find on the flickr pic JohnWalker.  The lads on TT are a bit out of date as they are claiming it still has its Rolls engine fitted.  Nice outfit in the pic, wouldnt mind a drive of that lot.

S4, I did not know any of the history of the Ashford Steam Centre, if you have any pics that would make an interesting thread.

This is the Fowler that 13830 that is up in North Kent. We suspect this is one of the pair. This pic is not mine, but is online:

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 20:43:15 »
Found this link - I think this is the Caffyns Scammel in private ownership.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scammell-crusader/6605504405/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 19:10:28 »
The first of the pics are certainly behind the Kent and Canterbury Club, so that is Holmans Medow and not anywhere near Herne Bay. They look like a matched pair of Fowlers (B1's?), the dishing on the flywheels gives that away. Mr Evans was the Gentleman who was involved in the Ashford Steam Center and owned many vintage diesel rollers as well as quite a large fleet of steam engines (road as well as the SER O1). A few years ago the O1 was donated to the Bluebell Railway, she arrived from several locations in kit form over several weeks. As for the rest of his fleet there were some diesel rollers in the Hougham area in the mid 80's gently mouldering away but as far as I know the entire fleet has now been sold off, I am not sure if Mr Evans is still amongst the living (he was/is something of a recluse). I do remember that in the field there were a couple of steam road engines sheeted down and am wondering if these two beasties might have been them.

S4.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 15:11:59 »
Also notice the yellow low loader - looks like at least one of them was going on a journey...

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 14:32:58 »
Thanks John Walker, nice detective work.  The buildings line up very well with the photographs as you describe.  I expect you noticed that there was two chimneys so obviously two engines (I did not spot that at first!!!).  They look as though they are in reasonable order which leads to wonder if they had been painted up to protect them.

S4, we believe that two of the ploughers survive, one is owned by Alan Bygrave Jones and is a very nice engine,m RLS records show it was a Holmans engine.   Yes I would the scammell, just the cost of putting diesel in it would scare me off!  So, what do you think - were they pulling the plouhers out of Holams in the mid 1960s?   

DTT

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 13:00:14 »
Hi S4

When I saw the two engines there was nothing else in the meadow - they were just standing there on their own rusting away.  Perhaps they were the only items not to be cut up on site.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:37 »
Nice pics Dave The Steam. The shed in the last pic could it be at Bretts Fordwich? It seems very familiar as does the road. I know that Bretts aquired an engine in the late 60's could this be the one? However I stand by my statement that most were cut up where they stood, some ten or fifteen machines including a couple of ploughing sets along with the threshing equipment. I don't know if there were any Rollers here as I was lead to believe that they were mainly agricultural contractors. One last point; hands up who would like that tow truck...... It is a long time since I have seen her.

S4.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 23:09:02 »
I believe the big building on the right in the first two photos is the Canterbury Club in Old Dover Road.  The row of terrace houses are in the right location too.  If that is correct then the location is definitely Hollmans Meadow.  Also the engine in the photo is exactly how I remember it - There were two of them in the meadow when I was doing my paper round in the late 50s / early 60s.  I use to deliver to the Canterbury Club - The Times of course.

This is the view from the other side of the buildings - seems to be correct.  The entrance to Holmans Meadow between the two brick walls.  Look at the location of the chimney on the end of the terrace and the windows on the side of the Canterbury Club.  It's got to be the right place.

No idea where the last two photos are although that shed beside the road seems familiar......

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 19:02:45 »
I have been given to permission by the owner of these photos to post them here (they are from his posting on a steam traction website), we think they are of Holmans engines.  Certainly one is now resident in the Gravesend area.  The date is about mid 60s.

I copy his text vertbatim, wondering if anyone can shed any further light.

I would appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas in finding out about the two engines in the pictures. The pictures came from my Dad's collection and taken by him, he was depot manager of Caffyns Commercial in Canterbury, Kent. He was instrumental in converting the Scammel from its previous army guise for use as a heavy recovery veicle, also featured in the pictures. The date they were taken would be sometime probably between 1965 and 1972 although I cant be positive. I do remember him telling me about this particular job but it was a long time ago! I also remember him mentioning the location when we drove by on a familly trip in the car. I often used to go out with him on recovery jobs out of school hours in the days where the Health and Safety Police didnt stop that sort of thing but this occured on a school day so I missed out! The two pictures featuring the Scammel on its own I think were taken on another occasion (the snow / frost is a clue maybe) Unfortunately he is not around to ask anymore.

What I think I know; The location I believe is Bishopstone (between Herne Bay and Reculver in Kent). I have visited the area recently but there has been a massive amount of new housing development and the buildings in the background are no longer apparent. I think the owner may have been a gentleman called Lewis Evans and I think the engines were being towed from their parking spot and pushed on the low loader to be taken away. Local folklore suggests that the engines were a pair of ploughing engines, possibly ex Holman Brothers (I dont know anything about them either!). Certainly in the pictures it looks like there is a winch drum under the boiler but I am afraid I have no idea of the manufacturer. It would be nice to know if these engines ever got restored.

Thanks
DTT

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:01:17 »
Yes please, I echo S4's comments. We would love to see them.   There are no pics that I have been able to find.   Looking forward to seeing them.

DTT

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 14:53:17 »
If you have pics, bad or not, is there any chance of posting them (please)? I was told of the mass scrapping by a local resident who was a customer of mine in the 1980's. I have asked many people who are 'in the know' and all have backed up what I have posted. I believe that most, if not all, were cut up by a scrap man in Harbledown as one of his first jobs.

S4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines