News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Denge Sound Mirrors  (Read 8214 times)

Minsterboy

Re: Denge Sound Mirrors
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 15:23:46 »
David G. Collyer wote an interesting article about the sound mirrors in Bygone Kent Vol.10-No.10 in 1989.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:21 »
Some photos from the 2014 Open Day on Sunday:

cliveh

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 15:34:15 »
There is an organised walking tour by Romney Marsh and Countryside Partnership, on Sunday  4th November at 2.00PM. This will  include  the sound mirrors. As they are on private ground it will be a good chance to get up close to see them.
The Tour is Free just turn up at LADE car park on Coast Drive, nr. Greatstone at 2pm.
From their the website.... www.rmcp.co.uk
Sound Mirrors 2012

Sunday 4th November 2pm

ECHOES FROM THE SKY

At the back of Lade Gravel Pit are the three designs of an early warning system against enemy aircraft which was built in the 1920's and 1930's. A great opportunity to cross over the bridge onto the island to hear the story and see the mirrors up close. Suggested donation of £2 appreciated. LEADER: Owen Leyshon, Romney Marsh Countryside Partnership (01797 367934 or 07770 670316). MEET: Lade car park on Coast Drive (half way between the Pilot Pub and Romney Sands) (TR 085 208 or TN29 9PE). DISTANCE: 3 miles (2.5 hours). GRADE: 5 (Walking across the shingle).

Originally Sourced from Article in Sittingbourne News Extra Oct 26th Issue.

theartist

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:21 »
VANDALS, this video just encourages such acts.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 20:41:47 »
They made an appearance in the Prodigy's video for Invaders Must Die. Along with a few sites around Dungeness and the sea forts off North Kent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqFcc_l_Kk
I heard they got into trouble for it but I don't know if it's true.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline yeoman

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 19:07:51 »
Last time I saw anything on them in the media it was to the effect that they were falling to pieces after 70 years exposure to the elements.

theartist

Denge Sound Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 16:19:57 »
Wasn`t there a thread about the Denge sound mirrors on here? Where`s it gone? Perhaps somebody could start again as it`s such an interesting site. Personally, I havn`t been there for years but I do know the site is only accessible at certain times under supervision these days, due to vandals covering the concrete with graffiti.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines