News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old photo of Franklin Road, Gillingham  (Read 12072 times)

daveylad1

Re: Old photo of Franklin Road, Gillingham
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 18:56:43 »
I lived in Gillingham all the way through the 60's and 70's. The Anglers Den was in Franklin Street but I do not remember a greengrocers at all. The only greengrocer I can remember was Brookers at the end of Franklin Road.

Brookers actually had three shops, one in Franklin Road, almost opposite the chip shop, that was at the end of Gordon Road, the second was in Twydall shopping centre and the third was on the Top Road, Watling Street (I worked there as a Saturday boy). My mum worked in Brookers on the top road as well for at least 15 years. Anyone remember her, Maureen O'Neil? The manager was Colin (can't remember his last name) and the store was run by Adrian Brooker, who was George Brookers son.

mimijo

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 13:32:20 »
There did used to be a shop at number 16.  I know that Cllr Juby, who lives there now, used to run a shop from there before converting it to a house, but I do not know what it was historically.  Hope this helps.

silkenrobe

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:37 »
Are you sure it was No 16?  The reason I ask is because no 10 is a tackle shop and that has been for as long as I can remember but I dont recall a shop (almost) next door
There was however, a large greengrocers at the other end of Franklin Road at the junction with Gillingham Road where there is (or was, not been up it for at least a year now) a Charity Shop - Cats Protection League I believe

Yes I am sure.  The angling shop was there at the time as my grandparents were friendly with the people who owned it then. 

I don't remember then I'm afraid, sorry.

Offline liney

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 16:50:47 »
Are you sure it was No 16?  The reason I ask is because no 10 is a tackle shop and that has been for as long as I can remember but I dont recall a shop (almost) next door
There was however, a large greengrocers at the other end of Franklin Road at the junction with Gillingham Road where there is (or was, not been up it for at least a year now) a Charity Shop - Cats Protection League I believe

Yes I am sure.  The angling shop was there at the time as my grandparents were friendly with the people who owned it then. 

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 21:13:21 »

Brookers was the greengrocers shop. The family has another in Canterbury St., Gilinghaml, opp Trafalger St.

SailingTiger

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 15:35:14 »
If you look at Google Maps (streetlevel) you can see where the shopfront has been replaced.

silkenrobe

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:28:59 »
Are you sure it was No 16?  The reason I ask is because no 10 is a tackle shop and has been for as long as I can remember but I don`t recall a shop (almost) next door.
There was however, a large greengrocers at the other end of Franklin Road at the junction with Gillingham Road where there is (or was, not been up it for at least a year now) a Charity Shop - Cats Protection League I believe.

Offline liney

• Appreciation 0
Old photo of Franklin Road, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 13:01:50 »
My grandparents ran a Grocers shop in Franklin Road, Gillingham. I think it was number 16 which is now a house.

Does anyone have an old photo showing the shop?  It would have been in the late 60's early 70's.

Thanks

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines