News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: East Farleigh Lock & Weir - River Medway  (Read 4850 times)

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
Re: East Farleigh Lock & Weir - River Medway
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:01:45 »
Thanks for that reminder S4, yes Corrina - used to remember an Acker Bilk tune 'Corrina Corruna'

If you were 9 or 10, then that would have been the time that I moved off the boat 1974 and into Sittingbourne. I still had her for several months until 1975 when I found a buyer, the 'wife' and I were well separated by then. It turned out the buyer was the sister of an old Borden Grammar classmate - things just go round and round.
Life's different upside down

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 14:03:46 »
TonyYoung I am sure I remember the Corrina at East Farleigh. We would at times come down from Wateringbury with our Paddle Steamer (Konigen Louisa) I was only 9 or 10 last time I saw her so the memory is a bit dim.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:58:43 »
I think the boat was called Corinna, or Corinda.

Yes, I do remember a motorcycle connection. Anyone on KHF have contacts in E. Farleigh to find the name? We are talkng 1973/1974 when I was there but the moorings owner had been there for years.

And thanks for the efforts to get her running, filmer. I always though the engine was some sort of 'lorry' motor. I know we tried 'gasket goo' as sourcing a 'real' gasket was deemed impossible (goo was a miserable failure!! - no surprise there!)

I remember the magneto ignition. The bloody (literally sometimes, trying to get the thing to start) double sided rubber cog in the drive with more slots on one side than the other.

I worked a lot on trying to do restoration back to original varnish, etc. Could never stop the foredeck from leaking without a tarpaulin over it - the bedroom was underneath so it was a bit important. It was fun though, not necessarily the ideal start for an early twenty or so years old couple to have an ideal marriage. Ho hum

After I sold her it broke my heart to see her a couple of years later painted all over white, moored at the next lock up river.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:40:05 »
I've used the bridge a lot over the last 30years as our first shop was on the Tonbridge Road and it was a quick way in. I have seen a few sunk boats where the moorings were too tight and the boats flooded as the river rose above the limit of the ropes.

I can remember TonyYoung's boat, an old pre-war Broads cruiser, enough mahogany to make a good few sideboards.

Engine was a water cooled Hotchkiss, a marine version of that fitted to an early (possibly Bull-nose) Morris Oxford - that's what I used for a head gasket. Magneto ignition - had a couple of belts from that setting it up.

No chance of remembering the name of it, but didn't the guy in the bungalow have a motorbike racing son?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:05 »
I was living on a boat just above the bridge on the North side in the 1970's.
Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the bloke that ran the moorings, but he was real helpful, damned nice guy.

I, and my then wife, purchased the boat around 1973 from Yalding and moored there for a while until a dispute with the boatyard over VAT on electricity supply caused us to up mooring and move down river.

I was at Shell at Woodstock at the time and used to ride a scooter (oh shame!!) to work. The wife drove the MK1 Midget to work at Paddock Wood. 

We had a couple of floods but am not sure which one that was.

One flood was memorable as we went to party in Teynham with workmates and drove back to my parents in Coombe Drive, Sittingbourne for the night. We knew of the flood and the boat was secured well, albeit over then bank at the time.
We had just gone to bed when there was a ring on the doorbell, looking out the window - a police car!!. Oh bugger, did they follow me home after several pints of Sheps?
Thank goodness, no. The moorings owner didn't have my Mum and Dad's phone but had their address and rang the police to come and tell me the flood was receding - quickly - and the boat was in danger.
I think I got the MG up to 80mph going over Detling!

With the help of a long pole, I got on board 'home' and tied the pole to the handrail after shoving it into the bank and pushing us towards the river.  Set the alarm to go off in 30 minutes, woke up and repeated the operation until the water had gone down enough to ensure the boat would not topple over.
Next day the bridge was a mess of boats and bits of boats that had not been tethered properly.

Not long after (I think) I remember they were cleaning the river sections and we had to move into the lock for about a week while the section was drained. It was winter and we had no mains power in the lock. It was bloody cold.
However, I took the opportunity to construct (with Filmer01 helping source scaffold poles and clamps) a frame that would mean the river had to go some 8 feet above the bank to set the boat on the shore.

Do you remember the name of the boat Filmer??

Not long after we bought a house in Clive Road, Sittingbourne with the boat as collateral.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
East Farleigh Lock & Weir - River Medway
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 18:18:21 »
A lock was first installed on the Medway at East Farleigh in the 1700's.

A couple of photos from yesterday with just the tops of the lock gate posts visible above the swollen river surface and a couple of old postcards:

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines