News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Military Families Hospital Brompton  (Read 15726 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Military Families Hospital Brompton
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 18:36:32 »
Chatham News - Saturday 12 September 1863

THE NEW HOSPITAL FOR SOLDIERS' WIVES.- The hospital recently erected at this garrison, by Mr. A. Stump, the Government contractor, of Brompton, for the reception of the sick wives of the military stationed here, has now been completed for some time, and was taken over by the Government authorities about two months back; but from some unexplained cause has not yet been brought into use.  There is doubtless some good reason for this apparent tardiness, but it is sincerely to be hoped that the opening of this establishment, which is calculated to be such a substantial boon to the class for whom it is intended, will not be delayed, even for one day, beyond the time actually required for completing the necessary arrangements.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 14:47:37 »
I was hoping one of the letters would state that it was being kept open and the reasons why.  All they said really was that it cost as much to keep it open as it would to pay for the patients to be treated elsewhere.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 14:27:12 »
Well, we know they did decide to keep it open until the 1960s - I'm still trying to get the date for the final closure, but I think it was somewhere between 1964-66.
=========

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 14:21:15 »
Further letters just re-hash what has already been discussed and none contained a final decision whether to keep the hospital open or not.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 15:14:50 »
Detailed Account of Military Families Hospital, Chatham, 1924/25.

In – Patients

Items of Cost.Amount.Remarks.
Patients.£.  S.  d. 
Provisions.200.  16.  2.
Surgical Supplies. 50.  14.  4.
Laundry. 37.  1.  9.
Rental.145.  0.  0.
Repairs.102.  18.  11.
Rate. 48.  6.  8.
Fuel, Light, water.246.  9.  0.
Barrack Services, (2) Hiring and replacement 82.  11.  1.Valuation of furniture - £1,091.  2.  4.
, (3) Washing, et.   4.  8.  8.
Personnel.
Officers.368.  7.  6.
Nurses.953.  6.  2.
Other ranks.276.  1.  0.
Civilians.351.  5.  6.
Administration.
Travelling  4.  18.  0.
Carriage. 69.  17.  8.
Postage. 13.  5.  11.
Stationary.  4.  18.  9.
Total.£2960.  7.  1.
Credits
Sums receivable.
Stoppages.162.  19,  0,

Detailed Account of Military Families Hospital, Chatham, 1924/25.

Out – Patients

Items of Cost.Amount.Remarks.
Patients.£.  S.  d. 
Surgical Supplies. 42.  4.  9.
Laundry.  3.  9.  8.
Rental.  14.  0.  0.
Repairs.  9.  6.  10.
Rate.  4.  13.  4.
Fuel, Light, water. 13.  1.  0.
Barrack Services, (2) Hiring and replacement charges.   7.  7.  7.Valuation of furniture - £99.  3.  10.
, (3) Washing, et.    .  9.  6.
Personnel.
Officers. 73.  6.  0.
Other ranks.180.  4.  0.
Civilians. 35.  18.  3.
Administration.
Postage.  1.  0.  4.
Stationary.  4.  6.  10.
Total.£389.  8.  1.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 11:30:53 »
Gravesend Hospital
Kent.

November 23rd, 1926.

Dear Sir,

With reference to our recent interview re treatment, at this Hospital, of families of Service men in the Gravesend area, I am directed by my Committee to say they are quite prepared to take in serious and acute cases arising from such, provided our Medical Staff first agree as to suitability of all cases; that we have a vacant bed, and, upon entering our Wards, the patients are solely under the charge of our Medical Officers.
It being understood that the Military authorities will reimburse all out-of-pocket expenses, based upon the average cost per week, per patient, which at present stands at £3. 0. 4½.

C. E. Chapman
Secretary

Gravesend Hospital
Kent.

December 10th, 1926.

Dear Sir,

Further to my letter of the 23rd ult., I beg to inform you that the arrangement referred to, with regard to the treatment of families of Service men in the Gravesend area, does not include Midwifery patients.

C. E. Chapman
Secretary

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 13:31:23 »
Some more plans of the Hospital (all reproduced by permission of the Royal Engineers Museum www.re-museum.co.uk)

1868 - Women's Hospital (Note: At this date the building beside the Garrison Chapel and School is the Schoolmaster's Residence)

1907 - Female's Hospital (Note: At this date the building beside the Garrison Church had been Married Quarters but is now M.O.'s Quarters. Also, the M.O.'s office has been added below the main building.)

1940 - Military Families' Hospital (Note: At this date the building beside the Garrison Church is the Nursing Sisters' Quarters and the M.O.'s office is now the Dispensary)
=========

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 10:30:12 »
St. Bartholomew’s Hospital,
Rochester.

17th November, 1926

Dear Sir,
With reference to your letter of the 11th instant, regarding the question of Hospital treatment for patents from amongst the Military Married Families stationed in Chatham, I have been requested by the Committee of this Hospital to state that although we are prepared to continue receiving such cases as we are now doing, the Committee regret that owing to insufficient accommodation and the great need for additional beds, for which purpose an Appeal for £80,000 is being made, they are unable to enter into any definite agreement with your authorities for the treatment required.

I am, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully,

Secretary

West Kent general Hospital
Maidstone.
6th December, 1926
Dear Sir,

Further to your letter of the 12th ult., I have to inform you that my Committee of Management at their last meeting discussed the question of the treatment of Women and Children form your depot, and the following is a summery of the resolutions agreed to, viz:-

(a)   General cases.
The hospital is willing to undertake the treatment of patients under this heading at the same capitation grant paid in respect of Pensioners, i.e. nine shillings per day, towards the cost of maintenance.  It must be understood, however, that the patients would be answerable to the ordinary terms of admission, no beds being specially allocated, or priority of admission being given.
(b)   Maternity Cases.
These cases do not come within the scope of the Hospital.

Yours faithfully,

Edward Gregg
House Governor & secretary.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 18:43:37 »
INFORMATION REGARDING MILITARY FAMILIES HOSPITALS.
GREAT BRITAIN.

Command and HospitalApprox. Date of OpeningNo. of beds equipped 1926Average No. of beds occupied 1926Military staffCivilian StaffPresence of absence of Civil Hospls. in neighbourhoodRemarks
Aldershot Command.
*Louise Margaret1895-9655472 Officers (1 part time)5 WardmaidsNo
1 Matron
2 Kitchenmaids
X 12 Sisters & Staff Nurses1 Cook
1 Serjeant2 Laundresses
1 Private4 Nurses Servant
Eastern Command.
Chatham18641581 Officer1 CookYes
4 Sisters & Staff Nurses2 Wardmaids
1 Serjeant1 Laundress
2 Nurses Servant
+Colchester186820121 Officer3 WardmaidsYes
6 Sisters & Staff Nurses1 Laundress
1 Private2 Nurses Servant
Shoeburyness? 1904721 Officer (also i/c Mil. Hosp.)1 CookNone nearer than SouthendThere has been a families Hospital since 1889.  The present hospital s a “gift” building – gunners officers.
3 Sisters & Staff Nurses2 Wardmaids
1 Serjeant (A reduction of 1 Serjeant being made in Estimates for 1927.1 Nurses Servant
1 Private
*Shorncliffe190922151 Officer1 CookNone nearer than Folkestone
7 Sisters & Staff Nurses3 Wardmaids
1 Serjeant1 Laundress
3 Nurses Servants
Woolwich186430231 Officer1 CookYes
7 Sisters & Staff Nurses3 Wardmaids
1 Serjeant1 Laundress
3 Nurses Servants
Northern Command.
Catterick19201031 Officer part time1 CookNo
3 Sisters & Staff Nurses1 Wardmaid
1 Nurses Servant
Southern Command.
Devonport186620121 Officer1 CookYesHope to train 1 Private for C.M.B.
6 Sisters & Staff Nurses2 wardmaids
1 Serjeant1 Laundress (P.T.)
1 Private1 Kitchenmaid
2 Nurses Servants
◊ Hilsea1875 (at Portsmouth)20131 Officer1 CookYesHope to train 1 Private for C.M.B.
6 Sisters & Staff Nurses2 Wardmaids
1 Serjeant1 Laundress
1 Private1 Kitchenmaid
2 Nurses Servants
Netley1862641 Officer part time1 CookNo
2 sisters & staff Nurses1 Wardmaid
1 Private1 Nurses Servant
Tidworth190524151 Officer1 CookNo
6 Sisters & staff Nurses4 Wardmaids
1 Serjeant2 Nurses Servants
1 Private
Ø Wool1920831 Officer (also M.O. i/c troops)1 CookNo
3 Sisters & Staff Nurses1 Wardmaid
1 Private1 Nurses Servant

The duties of O. i/c M.F. Hospitals are not usually confined to that alone byt embrace additional duties.
* At these stations hospitals existed for many years prior to the date shown above.
+  Hospital was closed in 1908 and Patients treated in Essex County Hospital, pending provision of a new hospital.  Re-opened 1922.
◊  Closed at Portsmouth and re-opened at Hilsea 1923.
Ø  Closed at Wareham and re-opened at Wool 1924.
X  Includes 4 Officers Wing.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 16:39:23 »
It could be, the part of the page was folded over and I didn't notice when I photographed it!

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 15:39:13 »
Is the ? in your last post 'R' - perhaps the R.A.F. on Sheppey or West Malling, made use of it? (I don't know if the R.A.F. were at  Gravesend or Rochester in 1927, but possibly those too?)
=========

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 15:33:14 »
On the 8th January, 1927, Major-General P. G. Grant sent a letter with the table below, which shows “the present distribution of women and children at the stations served by the Military families Hospital, Chatham.”

Married Quarters Roll.Married Quarters Roll.Not Married Quarters Roll.Not Married Quarters Roll.Total.Total.
Station.Women.Children.Women.Children.Women.Children.
Chatham279412207312486724
Maidstone16292-1829
Sheerness234812163564
?. A. F.1128--1128
Gravesend4993565499

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 16:04:04 »
Proposal to Close the Military families’ Hospitals at

CHATHAMSHOEBURYNESSWOOL
Reason:£3000 too heavy expense for average of 8 occupied beds.Expense too great for small no. of patients.Expense not justified by small no. of patients & large staff.
Alternative proposals.1.  Amalgamation with Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham.1.  Admission to local Civil Hospital.1.  Admission to local Civil Hospitals
(i)  Bournemouth
(ii)  Dorchester
2.  Admission to Civil Hospitals in neighbourhood.2.  Amalgamation with Colchester.2.  Amalgamation with Tidworth.
3.  Amalgamation of MiL.F.H. with Shorncliffe M.F.H.3.  Medical attention in Married Quarters.3.  Amalgamation with Mil. Hosp. Wool with reduction of Staff of M.F.H.
4.  Medical Attention in Married Quarters.4.  Medical attention in Lodgings.4.  Medical attention in Married Quarters.
5.  Medical Attention in Lodgings 5.  Medical attention in Lodgings.
Results of Investigations.1.  Navy do not favour proposal, stating no expense wd. Be saved to the State.1.  (i) No arrangements can be made for local hosp. treatment of maternity cases.1.  (i) Bournemouth 20 miles away.
(ii)General cases with difficultly at Victoria Hosp. Southend at rate of 10/- per day.(ii) Dorchester 12 miles away.
2.  Great difficulty likely to be met with, for (i) no maternity cases accepted by any local civil hospital.2.  Colchester is 50 miles away.  Imposs. Medically.2.  Tidworth is 40 miles away. Imposs. From medical viewpoint.
(ii) General cases accepted only as and when beds available in two hospitals.
(iii) Civil patients might probably be given priority over military patients.
3.  Shorncliffe is 40 miles from Chatham.  Impossible from medical point of view.3.  Only 65% of those on Mar. Qrs. Roll can be accommodated in Mar. Qrs.  There fore large % of confinements among those on Mar. Qrs. Roll wd. have to take place in lodgings.3.  Might be further considered.
4.  Undesirable policy, tending to lead to increased demands for suitable annexes to be built to cope with the situation.4.  35% occupy lodgings, many with only 1 room.  Lodgings difficult to obtain.  Result as in previous col. No. 5.4.  As for Chatham & Shoeburyness.
5.  Undesirable policy – fraught with possible pecuniary hardships and discomfort to persons concerned. 5.  As for Chatham & Shoeburyness.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 00:24:05 »
3rd October, 1927

Sir,
In reply to your letter of the 10th ultimo, I am commanded by the Army Council to inform you that Dover Military Hospital was closed on 21st May, 1927, and Canterbury Military Hospital on 7th instant.
The question of closing Chatham Military Families Hospital is still under consultation.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 18:49:57 »
Sir,

With further reference to your letter of the 10th September, I am commanded by the Army Council to inform you that after very careful consideration they regret that they are unable to close the Military Families Hospital at Chatham.
This hospital was built for the reception of hospital cases arising among the families of soldiers at Chatham, Maidstone, Gravesend and Sheerness, and the Council are satisfied that the closing of the hospital would entail serious hardship to the families concerned.
The possibility of arranging for alternative accommodation to be provided in the Royal Naval Hospital at Chatham was considered in conjunction with the Admiralty but it was ascertained that no economy would be effected thereby as the annual cost to Naval Funds of making such a provision would be as heavy as the expenditure now incurred on maintain the Military Families Hospital.
As regards civil hospital accommodation there are three hospitals within responsible distance of Chatham and these were approached on the question of accepting military families.  Although the military cases dealt with at Chatham are comparatively few in number the civil hospitals are unable to guarantee the requisite accommodation and cannot provide any accommodation at all for maternity cases for which the Military Families hospital is largely used.
Consideration was also given to the amalgamation of the Chatham Military Families Hospital and the Shorncliffe Military Families Hospital but this suggestion was abandoned owing to the fact that the distance between the two stations is 40 miles and that from the medical point of view the transport of cases from the Chatham area to Shorncliffe, especially “lying in” women, cannot be undertaken.

The Secretary,
Treasury,
S.W.1

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines