Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HM Dockyard Church, Sheerness  (Read 7794 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 207
Re: HM Dockyard Church, Sheerness
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 22:31:43 »
Sheerness Dockyard Preservation Trust.
Bulletin No 3. January 2017.
  Dockyard Church.
     Heritage Lottery Fund submitted.
     Outline plan.
     The "Room" mobile arts space.
     Virtual Reality model of the church.
http://eepurl.com/cwnnSj
Sunset Nitin Sawhney-Nicki Wells-Aref Durvesh

Online Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 20:29:29 »
I enjoyed that prog. Hadlow Tower is really impressive close up. As is the ruin of the Church in Sheerness, it was tonight in the wind and rain....

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Minsterboy

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 20:11:03 »
Wasn't a bad little programme, Hadlow Tower was very impressive.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 18:25:23 »
Is it tonight's one?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline isleansuz

• Appreciation 8
  • IsleAnsuz
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 08:46:43 »
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/times_guardian/news/dockyard-church-to-be-the-9159

A Sheppey landmark is to be the subject of a prime time BBC One TV show.

Restoring Englandís Heritage will be broadcast on Thursday, December 5, at 7.30pm and will feature the Sheerness Dockyard Church and the wider historic site.

Ownership of the Grade II* listed St Paulís was transferred to The Spitalfields Trust in July.

A preservation trust of interested parties is in the process of being established to apply for grants.

On October 30, historian and presenter Tom Holland was at the site with a film crew to document the work thatís being done in the dockyard and find out about its history.

It is hoped the Georgian church will be converted into a community centre and small business units, at a cost in the region of £5m.

Will Palin, a Spitalfields trustee and resident of nearby Naval Terrace, said work has been progressing behind the scenes since September, when the weather vane at the top of the building was removed so it could be safely stored until the restoration is complete.

More through Link at top of page :)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 20:46:23 »
Fantastic news! I only hope that it is put to some use and able to be enjoyed both by the casual visitor and the local populace.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 207
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 22:50:08 »
"The future of one of Kent's most important buildings looks to be secure following a landmark rescue deal between a council and a building preservation trust.
Grade ll* listed Dockyard Church at Sheerness has lain empty and derelict since a fire in 2001. However, on 5 July, the building will pass into the ownership of the Spitalfields Historic Buildings Trust following its compulsory purchase by Swale Borough Council."

More @ http://www.savebritainsheritage.org/news/article.php?id=279
Sunset Nitin Sawhney-Nicki Wells-Aref Durvesh

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:53:31 »
Even though the council has agreed to go ahead with a compulsory purchase order of the church the owner and developer has lodged an appeal against the decision not to extend his planning permission. As reported in our local paper the 'Sheerness Times Guardian' this week. The appeal will be heard on Feb 14th 2012 at 10.00 am. Maybe there will be some affection shown between the council and the developer as it is Valentines day, an omen?.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 13:22:43 »
Thats one thing I really don't like, I am hapy for buildings to be reused but sometimes building nearby can destroy alot more history.  With the dockyards I feel there should only be buildings where footprints exist and kept to those footprints.  I think destroying the layout of somewhere removes too much history.

Minsterboy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 11:24:02 »
Hooray Sentinel, we're getting there.

The spoke in the wheel with the church was it catching fire and being gutted, that prevented a lot more sympathetic work such as apartments being carried out inside it, (it was originally bought to become an art studio I believe).
Sometimes as well, if you can convince a developer to retain and repair an old building you have to offer him the opportunity to cover excess costs by allowing him to build some new places close by.

Online Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 162
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:47:24 »
When I was a kid my Dad worked at St Augustine's Hospital Chartham, the old asylum. It was closed and most of it razed to the ground. Great as for many it was not a happy place with good memories. The bits that were kept, the Admin Centre, the C of E Chapel, the water tower, Cricket Pavilion (that managed to get a Listing some how) and the Morgue in the old Cemetary have been sympatheticaly converted to housing, though I am not sure how the water tower has gone so far. This was a good use of what was there. I was a bit upset though to see a Church where my Dad had taken services and my siblings were baptised made into a block of flats. That said it was well done, very well done if the prices were/are anything to go by. If done right these older building can be reused and look right. It would be better that this Church be turned into a nice set of apartments than be demolished. Instead of covering the whole of Kent in new build boxes why not use more of these abandoned ware houses, churches and other buildings? Instead of demolishing something like Aveling and Porter why not make it into flats? Sittingbourne mill has now vanished. Why? The cost of removing contanimated materials was one of the answers, whoopee doo. Truth is they can fit more new build boxes on the site than they could have made in cleaning and conversion. Look what has happened at Canterbury and the Tannery site. When complete there will be more people living on that small site than the whole of the Thanington Without estate. That said I did not hear of any objections to knocking down most of the old buildings there. Can't think why.......

I do agree that saving this building is better than demolition any day. It will never be used as a church again so why not just let the developer make into some thing that might bring some cash onto the Island?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Minsterboy

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 06:17:09 »
I agree entirely Kyn and a lot of the reason that some of these buildings continue to fester is because of the continuous objections that prevent a developer from actually getting started.
If, after a period of time no Trust has shown any interest in preserving a building like locals would prefer to see it, then somebody should bite the bullet and accept that it has to be lost to development.
Both the Seaview site and the VC Club are examples of what can happen with the right balance of agreement and common sense and both are preferable to the eyesores that the church and the Water Tower have become.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 21:02:34 »
I think buildings like this, where feelings are high, should be bought by a Trust or something to retain them.  I never liked the idea of this becomming flats but at the end of the day I would rather see it looked after and reused than allow it to get into the state it is in now!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines