News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RN ships for New Zealand  (Read 2268 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: RN ships for New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 22:04:43 »

Loch Achanalt
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
RN ships for New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 19:58:14 »
In  Sheerness Dockyard in September 1949 the RN ship Loch Achanalt was refitted  as RNZN  Pukaki and in April 1949 the RN ship Loch Morlick was refitted as the RNZN Tutari. I was an apprentice working on the Pukaki in the harbour and to get to this ship we first walked across the olde HMS Cornwallis the hulk that was used as a jetty ( how I wish that I had taken more notice of it then !!) then  a small cutter  took us to the ship.

Our first  job was to replace the condenser cast iron  doors , they were  about 10feet by 10 feet and 3ins thick  ,they had been covered with  a very thick rubber and we only had block and tackle to do this, very interesting..

There were 7 New Zealand sailors on board checking the conversions and we were  all  friendly with each other even having a few beers ashore with the crew. They were installing an iced water machine at one stage and were very surprised that the RN did not bother with cold water for the crew.

I then worked (?) as an Engineer with the P & O Liners and in 1951/2 while my ship was docked in Melbourne Australia I was walking from my ship I passed the RNZN ship Pukaki and on the deck was one of the seamen I had met in Sheerness ,After many hellos and many many beers and 5/6 hours later we all staggered back to my ship . etc etc etc .
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines