News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness trams  (Read 10889 times)

Minsterboy

Re: Sheerness trams
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:39:35 »
Can't answer that Mr. Bottles but apparently by 1913 Standen's buses were running a circular route via the Dockyard, Queenborough, Halfway and Sheerness.
The trams closed in 1917, not long after. Apparently, according to Sheila Judge, the trams only ran as far as Sheerness East because they couldn't cross the Light Railway lines there.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:12:40 »
Did the Trolleybus follow the demise of the Tram on Sheppey?

Minsterboy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:14:16 »
I'm not sure that even together that they could of "sewn transport up". The one thing that governed both of their routes was their rigidity. Buses came along and had the flexability to go pretty much anywhere, they weren't restricted by railway lines or overhead power cables.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 19:07:59 »
Just noticed that these wee beasties have their headlights on the Dash Panel. As there is no indication that they were ever mounted on the Modesty panel, Dover, Thanet, Maidstone and Medway all had them mounted high at first. I believe that it was restricted in size by the Sheppy Light Railway having fairly good coverage on the Island. I know that the main shed was out at Halfway, where the powerstation was. The trams and electricity came as a package and the Island lead the way. The Sheppy Light supplied coal to the powerstation but at the same time restricted the tramway to Sheerness, sad really as both together could have really sewn passenger transport up, certainly for Sheerness and Minster. Is there anything left to show that it existed, other than burried rails and rumor?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 16:25:34 »
 :)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 14:19:12 »
I find the almost Art Decco traction poles very easy on the eye. These must have been the most elaborate poles in use anywhere on an electric tarm system. I understand the Sheerness was the first all electric system in England, not counting The Isle of Man, and yes was very short in length as well as life as it was the first to be closed fully. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Minsterboy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 13:44:06 »
It wasn't too short, didn't it go as far as Seager Road one way and also up to Sheerness East.

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 13:39:58 »
Excellent selection of pictures. Has to have been the shortest tram sytem and with the shortest life. Unusual in using Siemens bow collectors, only one in the UK.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Sheerness trams
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 13:20:37 »
Here's a selection of photos of Sheerness featuring the towns trams.I find the backgrounds as fascinating and informative as the rolling stock itself.Once again all the photos are from dads archive.

1 The train station to the right.

2  I like the human detail in this one,some people almost posing for the camera others making sure they don't get flattened by the approaching tram

3The cart in this one seems to be of fairly substantial construction with very hefty wheels,the driver seems to be wearing a top hat.

6There appears to be a broom lying in the gutter at bottom right,a street cleaners maybe?

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines