News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grass Track Racing  (Read 24140 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Grass Track Racing
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 23:49:19 »
Nothing to do with grass track racing but I wonder whether Lord Harris's eleven had anything to do with this chap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Harris,_4th_Baron_Harris
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Barry 5X

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 21:36:47 »
I can remember that as a teenager I attended at least one motor cycle grass track meeting at Iwade in the mid to late 1950s

The location was a field off to the right as you went down Basser Hill from School Lane (Iwade) to Sheerness Road (Lower Halstow).

I recall that Basser Hill was (and probably still is) a rather steep road.  The track meeting I experienced was well attended and particularly thrilling were the motor cycle sidecar races.  Hairy to say the least with many crashes.

I cannot remember any other grass track at Iwade (I left the village in 1961).  As for the Anti Aircraft Battery camp which I believe was used later for motor cycling - I recall that there was a cricket ground used by a team called "Lord Harris's eleven". Iwade also had a cricket team that used to play on the field behind the Woolpack Inn and in line with the Primary school.  The well maintained pitch was protected with a wire fence and the village lads used to race around the enclosure on their bikes.

Offline HK1900

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 17:42:11 »
Thanks JW, You've led me away from looking for a church in Gravesend!

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 17:15:06 »
I think the track you might be thinking of near Marden was the Collier Street track HK1900.  You can see the oval clearly WNW of Marden on Google.

JW

Offline HK1900

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 17:01:43 »
Only just noticed this topic. I used to get taken to grass tracks when I was little, remember there was always a big meet in October at Lydden and once or twice it was on my birthday- not impressed being little and a girl! - I remember Graham Banks, he sadly was killed, also remember his brother Trevor and Dad Monty. Remember a guy who always wore a white jumper with red and blue stripes. Remember too the rosettes you could buy with a photo of your favourite racer. I have often looked a google earth for the image of racetracks, can see quite clearly the one at Rhodes Minnis but there was also one at Marden or Smarden but can't work out where it was.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 23:12:37 »
I remember as a young lad going to Lydden track around 1956/7 to watch stock car racing. Seem  to remember There was the main race circuit with a practice track around outside
My memory is of the poor starter official, who after starting a race, stepped back onto outside track to be hit and killed
Don’t know the poor fellow’s name

It was 1955...See paragraph 3 of this link

http://doverhistorian.com/2014/03/22/lydden-hill-race-circuit/
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 18:52:02 »
The memory is a bit vague on this one. I remember going to a Motor Bike Drag meeting donkeys years ago,I think it was either Margate or Ramsgate seafront. The only thing I can recall of the day was when a chap on an ariel Square 4 with a huge tyre on the back ,let the clutch in to go, All that happenned was a Bang and he ripped all the spokes out and the bike sat down about 3 Foot from the start line.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 09:19:27 »
I remember as a young lad going to Lydden track around 1956/7 to watch stock car racing. Seem  to remember There was the main race circuit with a practice track around outside
My memory is of the poor starter official, who after starting a race, stepped back onto outside track to be hit and killed
Don’t know the poor fellow’s name

IanDB

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:16:53 »
Insignificant aren't they. The lamp standards on the seaward side of the esplanade had a couple of bales propped against them, but the whole length of the promenade was lined with cast iron railings that weren't protected. In fact I have a vague memory of Ag McPhail's bike rearing up and throwing him off before careering into the railings. Elf and Safety would have a field day !!

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:17 »
Nice pictures IanDB, but what exactly were the bales for? One hesitates to believe that they were for 'safety' purposes with such huge gaps between them...

IanDB

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 14:43:57 »
During the early and mid 60's grass track racing was hosted on the former Ramsgate airfield off Pysons Road ........ now an industrial park of course, and from the late 50's to late 60's there were sprint meetings on the Western undercliff at Ramsgate run by The Sunbeam Motorcycle Club and Invicta Motorcycle Club, featuring such greats as George Brown racing his Vincent engined Nero and Super Nero, and Fred Cooper aboard Hermes.
Got a couple of mediocre pictures from a Ramsgate sprint meeting in the mid 60's.

Ag McPhail aboard his Ariel Arrow based "Ag's Barrow".

L.C.Roberts sets of on his 500cc "Steptoe Special"

Dave Fox, a former mining colleague and owner of Dave Fox Motorcycles in Ramsgate, was very successful at sidecar cross during the 60's, partnered for a while by another mining colleague Johnny Hitter on a 650 Wasp outfit. I think I'm right in saying that Dave became South East area champion one year.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 13:52:33 »
numanfan, do you know when the grass track in your photo began there and when it stopped, as my brother thought it later moved down just above Comet for one race in the late 70/80's?  My brother said there were complaints by Warren Wood people about chalk flying in their gardens.  Myself, I don't remember this as the only racing I knew of was at the Greyhound track.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 12:49:01 »
I remember Les Rumsey, he used to live next door when we lived in Kingstone back in the late 1960s. I only have a vague recollection of him riding a bike, though...

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 23:48:14 »
That's really exciting. I love racing for it gives me adrenalin rush. Your resource is also a good resource "let's keep the dream alive!"

Ooh, just noticed this thread. I have recently retired from grass-track racing. I started out in 250 solos in 1989 and worked up to 500's, I then went on to the 1000cc sidecars riding both grasstrack and speedway. I must admit to meeting many very nice casualty nurses all over the UK during my time racing. I eventually realised I was far too old to be throwing myself around fields every weekend and spending far too much money doing so! I first got the interest in grass-track at the Rhodes Minnis track during the early 60's and remember many of the riders already mentioned, Don Godden and Monty Banks are no longer with us and will be remembered well, Dons son Mitch is now a top rider and keeping the Godden name going.
Anybody interested in local speedway can bring back some memories by having a look at www.canterburycrusaders.co.uk a website I set up for a friend a few years ago.
A couple of pics of me playing on my Honda Fireblade beasty before I came to my senses.

(Pictures removed from quote by Moderator)

I now keep up my bike interest by having a nice shiny Harley Davidson to plod around on on sunny days.

TC

A double disc DVD has been issued called 'The History of Canterbury Speedway'.  It has old race footage and recent interviews with a lot of the old riders; Barney Kennet, Les Rumsey, etc. A 10 minute preview has been put up youtube, (just type in History of Canterbury Speedway.) Rode mainly at Iwade myself (under the tutelage of Barry Thomas) but had a couple of novice races at Kingsmead during the early seventies. I remember buying a lot of my gear secondhand from the England rider Dave Jessup who lived just outside of Strood.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 15:49:25 »
The oval grasstrack circuit at Rochester Airport, top left of the photo. Laker Road Industrial Estate is now on the land.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines