News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeromes Photographers Chatham  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
Re: Jeromes Photographers Chatham
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 14:56:44 »
I also remember being taken to Jeromes in 1946 as a small child. The added photo, though shown in monochrome, was originally hand coloured with the suit being a light blue. The headgear was knitted by my mother.

Offline babs

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 17:23:26 »
I think it was Jerome's who took my first passport photo.  I seem to recall that there used to be a queue on Saturday afternoons for this purpose.

KeithJG

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 14:54:18 »
Did they produce local postcards as well? or would the cards have been a privately taken photo with a postcard style back?

Haven`t shown the reverse side but it has a  personal picture taken at the studio of a 6 yr old girl....it is postcard type.

Also they were there in 1937!...a lot of my family went there to Jeromes for better quality pictures.

Me and my Mum`s best friend in 1956.  I am 8 yrs....note the clear container to put the pictures in....the corner is already like that so the photo`s can be removed easily.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 22:34:44 »
Here is the reason I ask.
The picture side shows a view of Canterbury cathedral and St. Peter's Street taken from the top of the Westgate Towers, a fairly standard 'roofline' view with little that stands out. There are some vehicles just about visible in St. Peter's Street and I think they have a 1930's feel to them.
The card is unwritten and unposted, but the reverse looks like this:

Is this the same Jerome?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:32 »
Partneress says they did not do postcards when she worked there

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 23:24:49 »

Dont recall post cards  at Jeromes,  maybe the did..

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 22:37:59 »
Did they produce local postcards as well? or would the cards have been a privately taken photo with a postcard style back?

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 22:30:42 »
 Just read the topic 
                               I can recall  taking my very first  film to Jeromes  it was a 120 film roll , i couldn't wait to go back to see my photography skills ..........some were good   some had  their heads cut off but  i persevered and  did  improve  I think todays technology is great if you get it wrong  you can take it again....better to get it correct the first time.with the old way  it became expensive.

patmore

Re: Jerome's Photographers Chatham
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 14:26:56 »
Many old family photos I still have bear the Jerome stamp on the reverse side. I recall the shop being roughly opposite the pound (poundland?) shop - or at that time, Paynes.There was always pleasant anticipation in waiting several days for a roll of film to be developed, something lost in these days of instant digital results.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:03 »
peterchall no it was not near Batchelor St as I said it was next door to the Duchess of Edinburgh which later became Mothercare I dont know what it is now.mikeb my partneress worked there for a while and seems to recall the framework being red but cant be sure of tiles.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 15:24:37 »
Yes I remember Jeromes well. I seem to remember the shop front was all red & black tiles? Am I right?
I also re-call the large sheets of contact prints they gave you to take away and you could take back the ones you wanted to be re-printed into full size photo's?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:08 »
There was a photographers on the corner of Batchelor Street until quite recently, now I think a shoe shop. Was that them?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Jeromes Photographers Chatham
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:36 »
How many remember Jeromes photographers next door to the Duchess of Edinburgh in Chatham High St where back in the 50s it was a very poplar place to go for a family portrait when most families wouldn't own a camera, found a photo yesterday my parents had taken of me and my brother short trousers an all in 1952.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines