News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeromes Photographers Chatham  (Read 10136 times)

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
Re: Jeromes Photographers Chatham
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 14:56:44 »
I also remember being taken to Jeromes in 1946 as a small child. The added photo, though shown in monochrome, was originally hand coloured with the suit being a light blue. The headgear was knitted by my mother.

Offline babs

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 17:23:26 »
I think it was Jerome's who took my first passport photo.  I seem to recall that there used to be a queue on Saturday afternoons for this purpose.

KeithJG

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 14:54:18 »
Did they produce local postcards as well? or would the cards have been a privately taken photo with a postcard style back?

Haven`t shown the reverse side but it has a  personal picture taken at the studio of a 6 yr old girl....it is postcard type.

Also they were there in 1937!...a lot of my family went there to Jeromes for better quality pictures.

Me and my Mum`s best friend in 1956.  I am 8 yrs....note the clear container to put the pictures in....the corner is already like that so the photo`s can be removed easily.

LenP

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 22:34:44 »
Here is the reason I ask.
The picture side shows a view of Canterbury cathedral and St. Peter's Street taken from the top of the Westgate Towers, a fairly standard 'roofline' view with little that stands out. There are some vehicles just about visible in St. Peter's Street and I think they have a 1930's feel to them.
The card is unwritten and unposted, but the reverse looks like this:

Is this the same Jerome?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:32 »
Partneress says they did not do postcards when she worked there

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 23:24:49 »

Dont recall post cards  at Jeromes,  maybe the did..

LenP

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 22:37:59 »
Did they produce local postcards as well? or would the cards have been a privately taken photo with a postcard style back?

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 22:30:42 »
 Just read the topic 
                               I can recall  taking my very first  film to Jeromes  it was a 120 film roll , i couldn't wait to go back to see my photography skills ..........some were good   some had  their heads cut off but  i persevered and  did  improve  I think todays technology is great if you get it wrong  you can take it again....better to get it correct the first time.with the old way  it became expensive.

patmore

Re: Jerome's Photographers Chatham
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 14:26:56 »
Many old family photos I still have bear the Jerome stamp on the reverse side. I recall the shop being roughly opposite the pound (poundland?) shop - or at that time, Paynes.There was always pleasant anticipation in waiting several days for a roll of film to be developed, something lost in these days of instant digital results.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:03 »
peterchall no it was not near Batchelor St as I said it was next door to the Duchess of Edinburgh which later became Mothercare I dont know what it is now.mikeb my partneress worked there for a while and seems to recall the framework being red but cant be sure of tiles.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 15:24:37 »
Yes I remember Jeromes well. I seem to remember the shop front was all red & black tiles? Am I right?
I also re-call the large sheets of contact prints they gave you to take away and you could take back the ones you wanted to be re-printed into full size photo's?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:08 »
There was a photographers on the corner of Batchelor Street until quite recently, now I think a shoe shop. Was that them?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Jeromes Photographers Chatham
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:36 »
How many remember Jeromes photographers next door to the Duchess of Edinburgh in Chatham High St where back in the 50s it was a very poplar place to go for a family portrait when most families wouldn't own a camera, found a photo yesterday my parents had taken of me and my brother short trousers an all in 1952.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines