News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upchat Road - Upnor/Chattenden  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
Re: Upchat Road - Upnor/Chattenden
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 20:45:32 »
Hi bromptonboy, thanks for the reply, have been slowly collecting information about this railway since the 1960s and have uploaded the article from the IRS publication, I last walked this railway just after it closed (but never knew the line when it was operating unfortunately) although I did manage to photograph it when it was being demolished in 1964, my best memories were of walking the abandoned track with my late father in 1962 and 1963, but although information seems to be very scarce I did managed to get some photocopies of maps from 1898 and 1933 also 1961 showing the railway from the Strood reference library some years ago and photographed the rolling stock that was purchased by the Welshpool and Llanfair railway in Wales just after its arrival there, from what I know of this railway it had a very fascinating history I would have thought that the RE Museum would have had something on this railway as they built it, especially as it started as a test bed for military ideas one of which was an Aveling and Porter engine with two sets of wheels (one for use on roads and one flanged for use on rails) I believe that the Chattenden and Upnor railway was probably the first railway built by the Royal engineers in Britain and would have certainly been the forerunner of the Longmoor Military railway, here's a photograph taken in 1962 of the signal box on stilts at Lodge Hill taken by my late father, and thanks again for the reply.. 

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 15:14:28 »
Dave W, I do not recall seeing anything regarding the Chattenden and Upnor Railway in the RE Musuem or library. I think the IRS will remain your best source of information.

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 19:48:59 »
The Chattenden and Upnor Railway http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11160.msg72083#msg72083 was last used in 1961. In 1965-1967, the Royal Engineers converted the route from Lower Upnor to Chattenden into a road including building a new bridge over Four Elms Hill. They named the road, Upchat Road.

(Image removed from quote.)

Plaque near the former Chattenden Barracks
Does anyone else have any more pictures/memories of this railway I walked the length of the Chattenden and Upnor railway in the early sixties with my late father and have been looking and researching this line since I retired a couple of years ago have read the IRS and Railway magazine articles but have yet to visit the Royal engineers museum at Brompton where hopefully I will retrieve some more information..

Offline Dave W

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 19:43:28 »
The Chattenden and Upnor Railway http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11160.msg72083#msg72083 was last used in 1961. In 1965-1967, the Royal Engineers converted the route from Lower Upnor to Chattenden into a road including building a new bridge over Four Elms Hill. They named the road, Upchat Road.

This is Church crossing Upnor in 1962...

merc

Upchat Road - Upnor/Chattenden
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 20:32:34 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines