News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old off licence Edward street chatham  (Read 3277 times)

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 13
Re: Old off licence Edward street chatham
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 15:14:09 »
Mary E

wow, thanks for that,strange don't know why i remember a miner bird, just remember my dad going there when i was very young and it was dark, for a few beers and i used to wait out side.

Offline Mary E

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:08:11 »
Hello Gatsnovel
In the 70's my Mum and Dad (Edna and Doug Lambkin) were managing the Olive Branch, but there was no miner bird - so far as I know. (Mum had a budgie in a cage in the living room.)  The owner's wife, Mrs Smith used to look after the shop on Mum's day off, and I'll try and find out about the bird.  The shop was one of those 'open all hours' places, and sold loose biscuits from the big tins, eggs off the tray taken home in a paper bag;  they even sold "real" bacon, sliced off the side as requested.  The cool room was a whitewashed brick cellar, next door to the beer cellar.  When the VAT was introduced Dad invented his own system of estimating the add-ons.  Much later on an accountant told him he should have patented it, it was so simple and effective.

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:05:04 »
nice one Chas! wish i could find a photo of the place!

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 19:50:16 »
Yes it was the Olive Branch and, as I recall, it had a counter at one end for off-sales and the rest was a shop

Offline gatsovandel

• Appreciation 13
Old off licence Edward street chatham
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 17:42:04 »
http://g.co/maps/43eps

in the early 70/80s i remember going here with my dad. it used to be a off licence and i remember the shop looking very old and an even older lady used to serve, but the thing that sticks in my mind was that she had a miner bird in the shop? does any one else remember this?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines