News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Criterion, Bluetown [i]  (Read 5470 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: The Criterion, Bluetown [i]
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 16:00:49 »
Poster.
Reymonds New Palace Theatre of Varieties.
High Street, Bluetown, Sheerness.
Monday May 18th 1903.
Prices 3d 6d and 1s.
Appearing.
"The Crown Sketch Co."
Nellie Norton. (Comedienne and dancer.)
James Kenney. (Comedian and dancer.)
Sunshine & Clouds.
Cissie Milford.
Dale and Vale. (Singers and dancers.)

The building is now the Criterion music hall, cinema and heritage centre..

Poster Victoria and Albert Museum. London.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:24 »
Thankyou for the responses and the Criterion picture from Conan is the same, although at another angle from the one I saw. Below are a now and then of the area. The old picture is from the website dead pubs ( I hope it is ok to show it here) and here is the link to this fantastic site..
http://deadpubs.co.uk/KentPubs/Sheerness/Criterion.shtml

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 21:15:18 »
Whilst researching the Criterion pub on the net I came across a picture to compare to the site today. I noticed that to the right of and included as part of the pub is an doorway with a sign over stating...The New Palace Theatre. I take it this is what it was called before it had the name of the Criterion Theatre as it does today.
See Conan's photo of Feb 2011 and my replys on the same date and April 03 2011.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4174.0
The Criterion seems to be wedge shaped in plan.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 18:58:05 »
Whilst researching the Criterion pub on the net I came across a picture to compare to the site today. I noticed that to the right of and included as part of the pub is an doorway with a sign over stating...The New Palace Theatre. I take it this is what it was called before it had the name of the Criterion Theatre as it does today.

In the 1901 Sheppey Directory, there is a mention of `Reymond's New Palace Theatre of Varieties' adjoining the Criterion Hotel, in High St. Bluetown.  It had been re-juvenated and altered under the present proprietorship, and was being worked on up to date lines, the motto of the management being, we are glad to find , "Respectability and Comfort".  Mr. Phil Reymond was the Proprietor and Manager.

Don't know if this helps sheppey_bottles?
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:03:47 »

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 14:44:02 »
Nice one Paul, here is a link to the report of The Criterion being wiped out by a bomb in June 1917. I wonder if my flagon was inside when it hit!!!

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=987.msg27123#msg27123

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 13:59:39 »
Was it one of the buildings demolished beacuse of the bomb?

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=987.0
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:52:25 »
We went passed the Bluetown heritage centre yesterday and my guess was right number 70 is roughly where the heritage centre is and where the Criterion pub/Inn used to be..which is nice. AND, number 3 West St, where my other flagon is from, is still there next to the old Nelson pub! It gives you a real sense of feeling when you hold these items and think where they once resided and the action they must have seen in and around Bluetown and beyond.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
The Criterion, Bluetown [i]
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 16:12:49 »
I am very pleased to have added two new Sheppey flagons to the collection. The flagon for The Criterion is the first I have seen with the word Bluetown used, on a bottle of any type from Sheppey.. I think the Criterion Hotel/Pub stood at the what are now the premises of the Bluetown heritage centre and Criterion Cinema.

I have found out from directories that The Criterion was at 70 High St Bluetown and that John W Kennedy was running it in 1899.
The Ship 3&4 West St Bluetown which was next to The Nelson pub, which is now flats, was being run by one of the Humphrey brothers in 1899 and the Wellington Hotel, 90 High Street Mile town was run by the Humphrey brothers between 1902 and 1918. The Humphrey brothers also run grocers shops etc at other West St addresses almost next door to the Ship.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines