News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Blundells, Sittingbourne  (Read 2564 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Re: Blundells, Sittingbourne
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:03:43 »
  I think Blundells Toy dept in Sittingbourne is the most missed shop that closed down in recent years.
 It was so well frequented with a high turnover, Everyone that had kiddies or grandchildren were devastated at the closure. My kids and grandchikdren all enjoyed many happy hours visiting playing with the Thomas Tank Engine play table even if they dudnt come out with a new toy. The shop had the best product range of toys and models for miles arround.
  Since then there has been nowhere to buy toys or models of any quality in the town.
  As with most things unavailable in the dying high street, you now have to travel to Toys r us, or  Knotcutts  ,Bluewater, etc to find anything.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:35:51 »
Hello Bryn,
                My wife worked in both the nursery shop and toy shop until they closed.
I know Blackbourns took over the shop but I don't know its layout now. Ann (Blundell) told my wife about the hall and I did have a look, it was being used as a stock room at the time. You went up to the first floor then past the little staff room down a corridor and there was the hall. I remember the floor was at all sorts of angles due to the age of the building.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:09 »
Peterj, the ex Blundell Nursery and Pram shop I think must be Blackbourn (TV etc.) but, although living in Sittingbourne all my life and working very close by for five years, I have never heard any mention of the old Dance Hall at the rear. Have you any more information? If not, I must try to gain access as this could be extremely interesting.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
Re: Blundells, Sittingbourne
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 20:36:34 »
Re Blundells in Sittingbourne, Hiltons Dentist (Twydall) is opening another practice at the rear of what was until recently the toy shop run by Peter Blundell who has now retired.Now an electrical retailer, the nursery and pram shop nearby was run by sister Ann (Blundell). Upstairs to the rear of this shop is an old dance hall with a wooden bench seat all the way round.
Brother Robert Blundell (a keen Gills fan) still runs the furniture store next door.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines