News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Style and Winch Brewery  (Read 7356 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Style and Winch Brewery
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 15:49:07 »
The Ypres in Sittingbourne was a Style and Winch house when it was the Railway Tavern.There were a lot of Style and Winch Pubs in the town back in the day.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:22 »
There was a brewery building on the corner of east row and Victoria street Rochester ,never used as such in my time in the area (1941-1970) very imposing edifice,any idea as to when it operated as a brewery ,or maybe it's name even?

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 15:34:26 »
  There's a pub behind the old Maidstone Hospital actually named Style and Winch.

seafordpete

Style and Winch Brewery
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:54 »
Those of you with bus passes may remember the beautiful Georgian warehouse wall of Style & Winch which ran along the riverside from the bridge for about 100yds. Sadly demolished and now replaced with the retail park

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Style and Winch Brewery
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 22:17:23 »
Style and winch were taken over by Barclays 1929 and then 1956 Courage merged..quite a few old pictures of the maidstone Medway brewery have the Courage logo on the side.I think it all finished in the mid sixties.

Beer bottle stopper from the Style & Winch Brewery in Maidstone (unfortunately not in very good condition).

The Medway Brewery was built by William Baldwin in 1806. The company was known as "Baldwin and Holmes" in the 1850s, as "
;Holmes and Style" during the 1860s and as "A F Style and Company" from 1880. It was amalgamated with E Winch and Sons Limited, of the Chatham Brewery, Chatham, Kent, and incorporated as "Style and Winch Limited" on the 17th March 1899.

Acquired:
- Henry Simmons, Style Place Brewery, Hadlow, Kent, 1905;
- H and O Vallance, The Brewery, Sittingbourne, Kent, 1905;
- Tooting Brewery, 1907;
- Ashford Breweries Limited, Lion Brewery, Ashford, Kent, 1912;
- Woodhams and Co Limited, Rochester Steam Brewery, Rochester, Kent, 1918;
- E Finn and Co Limited, Pale Ale Brewery, Lydd, Kent, 1921.

The Company took a controlling interest in Royal Brewery Brentford Limited in 1922; and jointly with Royal Brewery acquired Dartford Brewery Company Limited in 1924.

Style and Winch Limited was acquired by Barclay Perkins and Company Limited in 1929. It was operated by Courage (Eastern) Limited from 1964; and liquidated by Courage, Barcla
y and Simonds in 1970.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Style and Winch Brewery
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 22:44:48 »
Style and winch were taken over by Barclays 1929 and then 1956 Courage merged..quite a few old pictures of the maidstone Medway brewery have the Courage logo on the side.I think it all finished in the mid sixties.
Tomson and Wotton had their offices in Queen Street ramsgate and were taken over by Whitbread in 1968 . The cannon brewery of Ramsgate was taken over by Tomsons also. Until they shut down Tomsons were Kents oldest surviving brewer. Most of their old advertising material carries a picture of a tankard with the founding date of 1634 on the front and the handle made up of the initials TW. I have an old Perspex behind bar sign with this trademark.<
br />The last brewery in Lydd was Finns but it states the Brewery was demolished..I wonder what the brewery is in the picture, maybe a newish micro? or a few outbuildings from the original works maybe.

Sources on Breweries.. A Century of british Brewers by Norman Barber and..Bygone Breweries by Keith Osborne.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Style and Winch Brewery
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 18:49:17 »
Hello!

My Father has photographs of The Star, at Darland Avenue Gillingham as a Style and Winch Brewery Pub. I worked with an ex-Courage Brewery rep in the mid 70's who told me that that they took over Style and Winch. Peterchall was asking what happened to S&W. 

Hope this helps.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines