News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Russells Brewery, Gravesend  (Read 4997 times)

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
Russells Brewery, Gravesend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 13:19:15 »
I presume in the tradition of the Shrimp beers, there is a beer available at the moment called Gravesend Shrimpers

Quoted from the Loddons website http://www.loddonbrewery.com

"We now brew Gravesend Shrimpers Bitter, an exclusive beer for AVS Wholesale based in Gravesend. The beer had been brewed by a Yorkshire Brewery. This was a difficult task for the brewers at Loddon as they had no recipe to work with. A small sample of the Yorkshire brew was sent to the brewery for tasting and analysis and a recipe formulated. The beer has been well received by the existing customers of AVS."

seafordpete

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:44:46 »
The Brewery wasstill called Shrimp Bry in Trumans days, I used to do the Whitbread cellar work in Gravesend area 1975-87 and used to tie up with their fitters  (Father & son I think) who worked out of there

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:18:07 »
What a lovely trademark Russell's had, 'The Shrimp'. A picture of a Shrimp can be seen on their advertising wares as well as on their old beer bottle labels. Funnily enough in all my years of collecting embossed beers I have never come across a bottle carrying the embossed trademark. Gravesend as you probably know was the main centre for Shrimp fishing and the old bawleys ran out of there and the trade may still go on localy but from newer craft of course. These old brewers certainly knew how to pull in the punters and establish themselves in the minds of the community..what better than a Shrimp in Gravesend! My bottles carry either the name 'Russel's' or the wording 'Shrimp brand' embossed into the glass but not both  as far as I can remember, as a lot of my bottles are in storage so cannot have a quick look. Some other Kent brewers to use an embossed trademark were.. Style and Winch Maidstone a jug and glass, east Kent brewery Sandwich  the rearing Invicta Horse,Arkcoll Chatham a Lion etc. Many more Kent brewers used a Trademark on their labels which was probably a lot cheaper than paying the set up costs of having their bottles embossed at the bottle makers.

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 23:12:42 »
Russells brewery in Gravesend produced Shrimp brand beer. They also owned lots of pubs in Gravesend area.

Glen

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines