News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lion Brewery, Chatham  (Read 9369 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
Re: Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 17:07:04 »
Hulke's wheel:

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 15:47:13 »
This relates not only to James Hulkes and the Lion Brewery but also to these two threads:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18957.msg166817#msg166817

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5122.0

I've finally discovered what the original purpose of this little mock-castle behind St. Bart's was. (There was a clue in reply #8).

"The brewery premises were extensive, consisting of a wharf with large river frontage, stables, brew house and stores. In front was the private dwelling house, an early Georgian building facing the High Street. There was a paved front courtyard enclosed with high iron railings. The front door was approached by a flight of stone steps, covered by a portico. There is also on the opposite side of the High Street a garden, enclosed with iron railings and gates, approached by stone steps, and a castellated building, which contains a striking clock. This was the waterworks which supplied the brewery with water. In the brickwork abutting on the High Street is an iron plate, with the initials F.P.J.H. and the date 1809."

From the medwaypubsandbreweries site - a lot of interesting stuff to be found there.

kevin payne

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 21:33:35 »
Was there once an underground reservoir for the Lion Brewery and can anyone pinpoint it please, as a local man has asked me many times?

dingo4638

Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:16:24 »
It does indeed look very sad and neglected. Some parts of the main building have suffered from a huge amount of pigeon damage. They can get in but not out so there are lots of carcasses on the floor - very unpleasant.

I understand from Mr. Featherstone that a grant is in the offing to restore Chatham House. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 21:46:37 »
I used to work in the carpet dept. of Featherstones, which was in the Chatham House, only once was I taken upstairs into the main part of the house and shown the private chapel that the family had there, it was an experience! Wasn't shown anywhere else unfortunately, but in it's day it would have been a wonderful house. What a shame the family haven't done anything with it since. Looks very sad and neglected now doesn't it.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

dingo4638

Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 19:24:27 »
Re Hulkes Lane/Arkoll/Lion Brewery. When I was researching my family history, I discovered that my great, great, great, great grandfather, James Brisley, was the storeman at the Hulkes Lane Brewery. He lived in a tied cottage in Hulkes Lane (I think a one up one down) where he had 9 children. He sadly committed suicide in the brewery in 1863 at the ripe age of 60.

I've now moved into what is known as the Tack Room in Hulkes Lane (where the tack was kept for the stables opposite). Most of the Lion Brewery is empty and in a fairly sorry state of repair, having stood empty for the most part since Featherstone's closed in 1980. The Featherstone family still own the entire site and Chatham House (the imposing Georgian building that stands at the end of Hulkes Lane next to the Ship Inn) is supposed to be incredible inside, still with the original range and toilet.

If anyone has any related breweriana that don't want/want to sell associated with this Hulkes, Arkoll or the Lion Brewery, I'd be a welcome recipient. And if anyone fancies a look around the bits of the brewery I can access, please do reply (not that there's much to see).

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 124
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 21:01:23 »
Found some more info, on Cityark.

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=ShowImg&Img=/cityark/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_04.html/DE402_4_94.jpg

Explains why it is named Hulkes Lane.

Is the water-wheel still at Eastgate gardens?

Is there still a pumping station behind the hospital (anyone know of a pumping station expert to ask????) :)
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 16:32:16 »
When Featherstones had their carpet showroom in the building that fronted the High St. (derelict bit of the pic), the brewery part would have been the warehouse to store all the carpet rolls, etc. I worked there but only went in that part a couple of times so didn't see the extent of the building, they didn't trust me to cut any carpets!! I think the Motor Cycle place was there then, that was in the 70s, but I didn't know it was originally a brewery, learn something new every time I log on. Thankyou all.

Lyn
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 15:42:21 »
good stuff Numanfan, the Brewery on the first map is definitely the one I have been looking at.
The info definitely gives us something more to investigate.
I think I might go to the pub tonight to research some more.....  :)

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 21:57:35 »
Found this reference to Charles Arkcoll as Chatham brewers, c.1900 - not much to go on, but might help...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/maid-history.html
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 20:55:52 »
the building has been a motorcycle shop and is currently used by a model maker business.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 20:27:17 »
Reply #17 shows a bottle from Chatham with the Lion trademark belonging to Charles Arkcoll & Co. Their brewery was called the Lion Brewery, but I do not know the address. A look in local directories should reveal that. Many moons ago there was a thread on KHF with a picture of a lion on a building in Chatham which at the time I stated this was the Arkcoll trademark but I have searched on here and cannot find it. I think Colin Haggart put the picture on if my memory serves me correctly.

Could it be the one that used to be at Waterloo?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 20:16:11 »
Reply #17 shows a bottle from Chatham with the Lion trademark belonging to Charles Arkcoll & Co. Their brewery was called the Lion Brewery, but I do not know the address. A look in local directories should reveal that. Many moons ago there was a thread on KHF with a picture of a lion on a building in Chatham which at the time I stated this was the Arkcoll trademark but I have searched on here and cannot find it. I think Colin Haggart put the picture on if my memory serves me correctly.

seafordpete

Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 18:56:20 »
Only Lion Brewery ref I can find at the moment:
Lucy LAWRENCE
Birth: __ ___ 1848 Ramsgate, co. Kent, England
Census: 30 Mar 1851 with parents; Lion Brewery, Ramsgate, co. Kent, England

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
Lion Brewery, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 17:56:38 »
Can anyone tell me anything about this building off Chatham High Street?,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackmp/2513939853/

The sign above the door says 'Lion Brewery' - I only noticed it last week, because it has just been renovated and painted.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines